Re: Isolating 1 Workstation from the rest of the network

"BobS" <no-spam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> So by adding a system that will have nothing but internet access, his hope
> is to keep any virus from spreading on his network.

I have to say this is an utterly bollocks way to even consider protecting a
network; if something is known to be very insecure you *absolutely dont* use
it.

Every computer on the network should have a fully up to date firewall and
anti virus scanner installed on it, which should run a full scan overnight
when the computers are not in use.

The linksys should be configured to block any incomming ports for services
that you dont use, and block outgoing ports to things that you dont want.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"Those people that think they know everything are a great annoyance to those
of us who do"
Isaac Asimov

  • Access Denied
    ... the Netsky.C virus - I dont know if this virus is the ... culprit since it attacks shared folders; ... When I try to find the network via network neighborhood ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.printing)
  • Re: Arp virus attack?
    ... We dont run any w2003 in this network ... we dont know which PC is in question? ... with virus or some net printer? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • RE: Securing a Local Network
    ... How much would it cost if a virus infected one ... be if a competitor hacked into their network and was able to access all ... Third issue is virus protection. ... can infect you from numerous other sources. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • >>>> REMOVE MY <<<<
    ... Remove Secrurity From My Wireless Network ... How Can I Remove My Virus ... Remove My Search Tool Bar ... Remove My Bluetooth Desktop Icon ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • RE: Using viruses in pen-test
    ... I wonder if there is some type of "fake" virus you could use in this case. ... David A. Swafford, Network Engineer ... I wish to know your views on "Using viruses in pen-test"I ... Cenzic Hailstorm finds vulnerabilities fast. ...
    (Pen-Test)