Re: EFS For Dummies (me)

Thanks Steve.
I cannot believe that it might be XP Home Edition did not even
occur to me :)

Roger

"Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Just to add to what Roger said XP Home does not support EFS. I know you
> said corporate domain but some users use XP Home in a domain even though
> the computer itself can not join the domain and take advantage of all the
> features of an AD domain. If you do get it to work heed Roger's advice and
> read the link below on EFS best practices and realize that as long as your
> EFS private key is on your laptop your encryption is only as strong as
> your password.. --- Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316
>
> "Andrew Oliner" <andyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I'm a pretty sophisticated computer user overall. I just got my first
>> laptop, and I would like to implement EFS. I have a small company, so I
>> am the System Admin.
>>
>> The laptop is part of a corporate domain, not a Stand-alone. It seems
>> like most of the (barely) user-friendly documentation is on implementing
>> EFS on a stand-alone machine. Also, I have 2 Win2K servers, not 2003.
>>
>> I have tried, without success, to follow the instructions in the book
>> "Windows XP security Step by Step". I'm usually very, very good with this
>> stuff, but EFS has me completely stumped.
>>
>> Please tell me:
>>
>> 1. Does EFS even work? So far, my experience is "no'!
>>
>> 2. Can someone point me to a somewhat straight-forward explanation of how
>> to implement it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andy

  • Re: EFS recovery problem
    ... Peter & Roger, ... This seems to be exactly what "broke" my efs. ... it appears the private key may be gone. ... Dave ...
  • Re: A quick question before I kill myself... (XP EFS)
    ... EFS has been hacked already... ... Roger is right about XP not using Administrators account as ... > recovery agent, it was the very first thing I tried... ...
  • EFS For Dummies (me)
    ... I'm a pretty sophisticated computer user overall. ... and I would like to implement EFS. ... The laptop is part of a corporate domain, ... "Windows XP security Step by Step". ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: EFS For Dummies (me)
    ... Just to add to what Roger said XP Home does not support EFS. ... EFS private key is on your laptop your encryption is only as strong as your ... > I'm a pretty sophisticated computer user overall. ... > The laptop is part of a corporate domain, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: A quick question before I kill myself... (XP EFS)
    ... next version which presumably will handle sp1 EFS. ... look for Advanced EFS Recovery here: ... Roger is right about XP not using Administrators account as ...