Re: EFS For Dummies (me)

Just to add to what Roger said XP Home does not support EFS. I know you said
corporate domain but some users use XP Home in a domain even though the
computer itself can not join the domain and take advantage of all the
features of an AD domain. If you do get it to work heed Roger's advice and
read the link below on EFS best practices and realize that as long as your
EFS private key is on your laptop your encryption is only as strong as your
password.. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316

"Andrew Oliner" <andyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I'm a pretty sophisticated computer user overall. I just got my first
> laptop, and I would like to implement EFS. I have a small company, so I am
> the System Admin.
>
> The laptop is part of a corporate domain, not a Stand-alone. It seems like
> most of the (barely) user-friendly documentation is on implementing EFS on
> a stand-alone machine. Also, I have 2 Win2K servers, not 2003.
>
> I have tried, without success, to follow the instructions in the book
> "Windows XP security Step by Step". I'm usually very, very good with this
> stuff, but EFS has me completely stumped.
>
> Please tell me:
>
> 1. Does EFS even work? So far, my experience is "no'!
>
> 2. Can someone point me to a somewhat straight-forward explanation of how
> to implement it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

  • Re: EFS For Dummies (me)
    ... > Just to add to what Roger said XP Home does not support EFS. ... >> I'm a pretty sophisticated computer user overall. ... >> laptop, and I would like to implement EFS. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • EFS For Dummies (me)
    ... I'm a pretty sophisticated computer user overall. ... and I would like to implement EFS. ... The laptop is part of a corporate domain, ... "Windows XP security Step by Step". ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Laptop Security - Microsoft EFS
    ... In the case of a laptop where the biggest concern is theft, ... As for EFS key theft, that wasn't the point I was trying to emphasize -- the ... crack the encryption, stick a sniffer in there AFTER it's decrypted. ... an additional point of attack -- one that may not make evident the ultimate ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: XP native encryption
    ... I'm pretty familiar with EFS. ... The first question is whether the laptop ... able to recover it is the user who protected the files. ... profile hasn't been overwritten, then have the user logon and simply set ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Do you have any experience with PGP Disk?
    ... EFS is not a sensible ... >> I am trying to secure a standalone laptop computer that contains ... > If the data is sensitive, you should absolutely encrypt the data, but I ... > Just be sure to export any encryption keys and safe them on a safe ...