Re: Need Alternative to Norton

Because you have a home network your LAN's settings should allow file and
printer sharing.That's why turn on Windows Firewall and goto Exception list
and put a tick on file and printer sharing.This will allow you share files
and hardware between the networked PCs.

Try Panda Titanium 2006 Antivirus + Antispyware
http://www.pandasoftware.com/titanium2006

Panda Titanium 2006 includes TruPrevent technologies

Lean what TruPrevent ® is here:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/truprevent.htm
http://www.pandasecurity.com/ICSAReport/Panda_Public_Evaluation.PDF

Panda_man
--
Prevention is always better than cure !
Panda TruPrevent - the most intelligent technology to combat unknown malware

"WhoTurnedOffTheLights" wrote:

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" <franksaunders@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > "WhoTurnedOffTheLights" <Lights@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > 5Lfwf.1818$rS4.755@trndny05">news:5Lfwf.1818$rS4.755@trndny05
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I'm finally ready to drop this piece of crap that's caused me nothing
> >> but trouble, many lost hours and self inflicted injury from banging
> >> my head up against the darn wall!
> >>
> >> I'm referring to Norton Antivirus/Internet Security.
> >>
> >> I'm already running a number of anti-spyware programs but would like
> >> something that also:
> >>
> >> - Scans My Emails
> >>
> >> apart from all the other basic stuff.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > I use Free AVG (www.grisoft.com) and Windows XP firewall. Plus Microsoft
> > Anti-Spyware beta.
>
> Hi Frank and thanks, But,
>
> you see, I would like to be able to disable my Windows XP firewall
> occasionally for sharing of files in my home network. Using Norton, I was
> able to do this. I know I could of course just disable Internet access and
> such while doing so but....... (or am I way off in my understanding of any
> of this?).
>
> This all pertains to my laptop mind you.
>
> I already have MS Anti-Spyware along with CW Shredder, Ewido, Smitren and
> Webroot Spy Sweeper.
> As for AVG, I'll take a look.
>
> PS....I apologise for my post here. I realised afterwards that there
> might've been more appropriate NGs, but I'm open still to suggestions. :-)

  • Re: Is there a way to "wall off" one computer on a home network?
    ... The home network has a standard DSL connection ... If you have the Windows XP Firewall configured on the other computers so ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
  • Hard Drive keeps filling up
    ... This is on my home network. ... Windows XP, 2.8G, Broadband connected, with 802.11g Linksys wireless router. ... I have 3 firewalls running on it, zonelabs, tiny and the firewall included ... because she had been instant messaging and some putz came on and ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: windows XP and firewalls
    ... addresses for your home network and even settings that allow it to ... I have a home network that has windows XP. ... on here, and now sygate firewall. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Mshome keeps disappearing
    ... We use Panda as our anti-virus and firewall. ... our home network, including mshome. ... Windows XP ... How do we keep mshome from disappearing? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...