Re: MS Security Bulletin MS06-001: Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution (912919)

"~greg" <g_m@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
> "Rock" wrote >
>> Why do you need to re-register shimgvw.dll _before_ applying the patch, and the related question, what if you don't?

You don't. I even recommend to re-register *after* applying the
update. Otherwise your system may be at risk during the pending
patch.

> my guess is the patch needs to find shimgvw.dll to fix it.

Nope, the patch contains gdi32.dll, the culprit of the security
hole which could have been exploited viewing an image *i.e.* via
Windows Picture- and Fax Viewer or Symbol View in Windows Explorer.
Please feel free to review the details in the Security Bulletin:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-001.mspx

Bye,
Freudi

  • Re: Must type http:// in address bar in order to access web site
    ... but your patch did the trick. ... Vulnerability in Windows Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution ... This group is for posts concerning IEAK. ... microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak, Tigfre ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak)
  • Re: Problem with KB908531 - MS06-015: Vulnerability in Windows Exp
    ... I also had problems saving MS Office documents under new names. ... I uninstalled the patch and everything is back to normal. ... And thes security hole to be fixed with KB908531 is open again. ... Vulnerability in Windows Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows shuts down after error
    ... To stop the reboots: Go to Start/Run and type in: services.msc. ... Close Windows Explorer, run the edit on line 257 which includes the ... C, D, E and F) and will inform you whether or not the patch is already ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: KB908531- could it cause workgroup shares to be inaccessible?
    ... Revised - Vulnerability in Windows Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution ... Wait and see if the revised patch causes the same problem. ... Contact the administrator of this server to ... | (login window), unless there was an active connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • (off topic) WMF Windows vulnerability : part II
    ... and F-Secure are now endorsing Guilfanov's patch. ... Microsoft's official workaround to unregister a certain ... for Windows Explorer to display thumbnail images but I'm afraid we'll have ...
    (soc.culture.thai)