Re: Standard way to remember passwords

"Arek Iskra [MVP]" <NoSpam_arek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23YbaUz79FHA.3980@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "PGP" <priyesh_do_not_reply> wrote in message
>>
>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>> There are several Password Manager products out there.
>>> Are you talking about them remembering what they used.. Or YOU
>>> remembering what they used?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shenan Stanley
>>> MS-MVP
>>> --
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>>
>> The username and password used here would be the user's system login
>> credentials (for windows services). What i am trying to do is to find out
>> if there is a prefered way to save these so the user dont have to retype
>> them. So the answer would be me remembering the passswords.
>>

> I would not recommend this. I know it is more convenient, but it can lead
> to serious security breach. If you do that, anyone can power on the
> machine and impersonate another user, since the system will login
> automatically. How are you going to prove that the person who does
> something "mischievous" is the same person who is the owner/primary user
> of PC? Just a thought.
>
> --
> Arek Iskra
> MVP for Windows Server - Software Distribution

User will have to login into windows using standard windows login
procedures. The application does not do anything to make this automatic.
Only thing that i am deciding is about saving the user's login/pass as
encrypted registry entries. So far i have decided against it. (Little
annoyance to the user when he/she has to retype the pass everytime they make
a config change on the service.).

  • Re: Textmate vs. TextWrangler
    ... I really can't be doing with remembering a whole load of special ... The only keyboard shortcuts I remember are the standard ... main thing missing in TW is the option to "repoen all windows from last ... "That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Textmate vs. TextWrangler
    ... I really can't be doing with remembering a whole load of special ... 'Ctrl+<' saved me 10 chars every time I wanted to create a table I'd ... main thing missing in TW is the option to "repoen all windows from last ... Until I get TM I used Vim, if you don't want arcane keystrokes make sure ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Blessed are the systems ..
    ... laptop and it wasn't 'easy' to get 10.7 to show hidden folders? ... It's more key presses and harder to remember than Windows key and E;) ... The point about remembering is that you need to know the thing that you ... trouble looking up the prompt (i.e., ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Changing Passwords
    ... Windows XP is making me change my entrance password about ... I cannot keep on remembering all the ... changing the password to gain access to my computer. ...
  • Re: cant stop xp from remembering password on logon
    ... Aaron Crocker wrote: ... > How do i stop xp from remembering my password and not asking for it on ... It blows past the login screen b/c of this. ...