Re: Avoiding worms

b11_ wrote:
> If one uses hotmail, email attachments are scaned for worms, etc. Are there
> any website "portals" which do a better job of scanning for worms, etc.

I doubt it.

But then I'm behind times here because server/ISP/portal scanning is in
vogue today. I'm sure SBC has it, Yahoo has it (I seem to remember
turning it off), and Google just got recently.

But since I'm not experienced with that, and I couldn't find any
references on Google to it don't take my word for it.

I'm just afraid of server-side scanning whether it's for worms or for
spam. What about false-positives? Will you lose some email? No scanner
is perfect, but if it's on my desktop I have more control over what it's
doing. Just a question of what's in or out of my comfort zone.

--

Liquid

  • Re: Steady increase in ssh scans
    ... SSH is mearly C00l now! ... I'm also seeing scanning, with lots of syslog messages like the ... > probing that is favoured by most worms. ... I've seen two or three "autorooter" kits using SSH exploits, ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Avoiding worms
    ... >> If one uses hotmail, email attachments are scaned for worms, etc. ... >>> 2) always use safe surfing habits and common sense. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Double email messages
    ... Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE times out. ... Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and email attachments. ... To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus definitions." ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: outlook express blocks access to email attchments
    ... >>source as these worms send out emails based on users it ... OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6 ... Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: OE6 and Norton Internet Security #2