Re: Standard way to remember passwords

"PGP" <priyesh_do_not_reply> wrote in message news:%23NDVBL49FHA.1484@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23hZAcZ39FHA.2544@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PGP wrote:
I have a  config utility that lets users change service params and
when it's time to apply changes, the user needs to supply his user
name and pass as the services are created under the user so that
user priviliges on certain resources would apply. I would like to
remember the user's password if he choses to do so in a secure
manner. Is this adviceable? If so, how is it done?

There are several Password Manager products out there.
Are you talking about them remembering what they used.. Or YOU remembering what they used?

--
Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

The username and password used here would be the user's system login credentials (for windows services). What i am trying to do is to find out if there is a prefered way to save these so the user dont have to retype them. So the answer would be me remembering the passswords.

I would not recommend this. I know it is more convenient, but it can lead to serious security breach. If you do that, anyone can power on the machine and impersonate another user, since the system will login automatically. How are you going to prove that the person who does something "mischievous" is the same person who is the owner/primary user of PC? Just a thought.

--
Arek Iskra
MVP for Windows Server - Software Distribution

  • Remember Username Resume from Sleep Vista Business 32
    ... My system recently changed behavior after resuming from sleep. ... I must enter my username and password. ... control remembering username by Group Policy for Sleep Mode or can this ...
  • password
    ... I am going to a web-based email system and have forgotten ... As I type the username it that looks like ... Windos XP is remembering the password but as I proceed it ...
  • Dial up Networking problem
    ... Hello I am having a problem with dialup networking not remembering my ... username and password. ... I have selected it to reamember passwords. ... I used to have sbc isp but since have changed isp's. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Remembering Passwords
    ... Every time I access a password-protected resource on the ... I am prompted to enter my username and password. ... it is empty. ... Why is my system not remembering my passwords? ...