Re: ZoneAlarm blocking Outlook Express emails

In article <e7uJ8gu9FHA.308@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "PA Bear"
<moc.liamg@PVMraeBAP> wrote:
>Windows version?
>
>Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
>additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:
...<snip>...
>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

You really have to love a "security" product that comes with a feature that
its authors themselves tell you is completely unnecessary.

The unfortunate fact, of course, is that there are many in the "security
audit" profession who will produce lists of "security requirements" that are
padded with needless requirements in order to make the auditor look
impressive.

Be concerned any time you see a security audit that mentions as "must do" any
of the obvious "security blanket" (gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, but doesn't
protect you in any way) steps:

1. Run a well-known service on a port other than its well-known binding.
[Hackers will port-scan, or simply observe traffic, in order to find out where
the new port is]

2. Hide the greeting banner on a service to prevent hackers guessing which
version of a server you run.
[Hackers will try their "exploit of the day" against your server no matter
what it claims to be - if your server is unsecure, changing its banner won't
prevent attacks]

3. Scan twice for viruses on the same computer using the same virus-scanner.
[If it didn't catch the virus the first time, it isn't going to catch it the
second time, unless something changed - virus signatures, virus scanner
engine, etc.]

4. Applying primarily technological solutions to primarily social problems.

I could go on and on, but I think I'll save that for a blog post.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email
23921 57th Ave SE | alun@xxxxxxxxxx
Washington WA 98072-8661 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers.
Fax/Voice +1(425)807-1787 | Try our NEW client software, WFTPD Explorer.

  • Re: Anti Virus: Improving the defense strategy through proactiveness...
    ... virus protection, and then client level virus protection and then user level ... same way so that server level AV is updated as well. ... Goner before it even left the server on it's way to the client and before I ... Lastly, stay on top of security patched especially from MS. IE, OE and O2K ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Anti Virus: Improving the defense strategy through proactiveness...
    ... virus protection, and then client level virus protection and then user level ... same way so that server level AV is updated as well. ... Goner before it even left the server on it's way to the client and before I ... Lastly, stay on top of security patched especially from MS. IE, OE and O2K ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Security issue with MS Exchange and Windows 2003 Server
    ... My design peoples will not accept either accept our IT instruction until one ... there are security issue caused by the staffs but they hire me to patch ... >> I believe yoy are qualified to steer him in the RIGHT direction for MS Exchange Server AV ... >> He uses a web site and Bowseing to show protection. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • RE: Windows Remote Desktop
    ... >the domain name in the server certificate, the client goes on to Step ... already got access to the E-Trade server's SSL cert, don't ask me how, ... TRANSPORT security with M-T-M protection as kind of a afterthought. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Cannot send email out, help
    ... Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. ... that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, ... Two ISP server connections have the same problem. ...