Re: File Sharing and Broadband

From: Davy (david_at_REMOVETHISchobham.org.uk)
Date: 11/05/05

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 09:07:41 -0000

Thanks Steve, that is helpful. Although I am still not clear about the
difference between folder, security and share permissions. My Windows 2000
installation has two tabs for a folder property - they are 'share' and
'security'. The 'share' tab seems to offer folder permissions (very
confusing) and it has a further 'permissions' button; whilst the 'security'
tab seems to duplicate the 'share permissions' button function. Am I
understanding this correctly?

Davy

> NTFS folder permissions apply to any users that logs on locally or via a
> share. Share permissions apply only to network users accessing the share
and
> for such a user the most restrictive of the two settings will apply.

 Share
> permission of change allows a user to access the share and write and
delete
> on that share. If you do not need that then set the share permissions to
> read which allows the network user to only read/list/execute.
>
> Everyone in your situation would mean anyone that can authenticate to the
> computer unless the guest account is enabled which could then potentially
> allow everyone and anyone access to that folder. I usually change everyone
> to authenticated users. That way if the guest account is enabled somehow
> that folder is still protected from anonymous access. Firewalls are an
> important part of network security but be sure to have a strategy for
> malware prevention, detection, and removal and for keeping current with
> critical security updates at Windows Updates. --- Steve
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxpsp2/Default.mspx
> --- Protect Your PC tips from MS.
>
> "Davy" <david@REMOVETHISchobham.org.uk> wrote in message
> > Recently I have made some major changes to my PC which make me think
that
> > need to review my file sharing policy.
> >
> > I have moved from dial-up internet to broadband and installed a 3Com
> > router
> > firewall.
> >
> > The home network has 3 PCs which have file sharing enabled on all drives
> > The Share Permissions tab allows 'Network' change/read permissions. The
> > 'Security' tab allows 'Everyone' full control. (MS Office gives
problems
> > if I don't allow full access). This sounds a bit risky but as I
understand
> > it 'everyone' means anyone who logs on with the correct username and
> > password. However, I must admit to being confused between the W2k
> > 'Shares' properties 'Share Permissions' and 'Security'.
> >
> > Since the NAT on the router makes the PCs invisible to the outside world
> > and
> > the file shares are protected by password access then it seems safe.
> >
> > My installation is:
> > W2000
> > Office 2000
> > Outpost PFW
> > The PCs are not logged on with admin privileges except when doing
Windows
> > updates.
> > The router provides IP addresses to the PCs
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Davy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: boot.ini disappears on restart or startup XP Pro
    ... tab is showing up on the file properties. ... the Security tab visible. ... permissions) of the 'boot.ini' file, is to execute ALL the following ... cacls boot.ini /E /R SYSTEM ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP permission constraint with win2000 permission
    ... file ownership and permissions supersede administrator rights. ... Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to ...
  • Re: Problem copying file from one system to another
    ... ownership and permissions supersede administrator rights. ... you can set XP Home permissions in Safe Mode. ... Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to ...
  • Re: User Account Suddenly Unaccessable
    ... Revert to the original profile folder. ... Log on as administrator ... The Sharing tab has "Do not share this folder" checked, and the rest of the tab has no data. ... In the middle section none of the "permissions" categories have any checkmarks - no marks in allow, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Too late for Administrators Password?
    ... if you're going to be messing with permissions then ALWAYS FIRST SET ... folder and click the Security Options folder. ... Next, administrator, you need to have the security tab show when you ...