Re: RSA frustrations - encrypt with private, decrypt with public - possible?

From: William Stacey [MVP] (william.stacey_at_gmail.com)
Date: 10/25/05

    Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:09:08 -0400

    MS has a free bundle that will do this for you at
    http://sharewarestarterkit.com/

    If you do want to do it yourself for some reason, the general idea:
    1) Create your license, including the machine hash of the machine that is
    allowed to run it. If you don't include a machine hash, then anyone can
    send the valid license around and use it.
    2) Hash and sign it with your RSA private key. This proves it is valid and
    from your service side (i.e. private key side).
    3) On client startup, find a license and verify the lic signature using
    VerifyData as you said. Verifing the sig is the only function, in
    RSACrypto, that can decrypt using the public key.

    What do you want to decrypt in the license besides the license sig? It may
    not be required or there may be another way to refactor your license
    protocol. Please expand.

    --
    William Stacey [MVP]