Re: LOST EVERYTHING on F: from Virus Is C: at Risk now?

From: MadHadderall (MadHadderall_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/24/05

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:49:06 -0700

I've never had anti-virus protection due to the fact that everyone i've known
with anti-virus software has been attacked much more often than people
without. It almost seems like someone looking to compromise a systems
security would be looking for a system with protection that they know they
could get past. I'm not sure how all that "hacking" business works so...

i'm not sure if it was a virus, but it wasn't my doing. the deletion of
files came from a malicious source. as far as i know, i am very
paranoid/careful about scandisk messages and "out of the norm" looking
running process, so i'm sure it was malware.

I'm running XP and the message said scandisk which i assumed was a general
reference to chkdsk. I have service pack 1. i will report back
after i follow through with ur suggestions. Thanks guy, you've been a big
help already.

"Malke" wrote:

> MadHadderall wrote:
>
> > I just recently installed a secondary drive (F:) so I would have
> > somewhere to
> > put misc. files and huge downloads. About 10 mins ago I was prompted
> > to run
> > scan disk. The message looked as authentic as can be, maybe it was.
> > However, I just got back from rebooting and, the F: Drive won't
> > function.
> > It's asking me to format it. What can i do to protect my C: Drive? ,
> > Is
> > the virus/whatever's threat finished? What's the deal? What can I
> > do to recover anything? and what do people get out of infecting other
> > peoples PCs?
>
> How do you know it was a virus? What antivirus do you have installed?
> Please tell us the name, version, and whether your virus definitions
> subscription is current.
>
> Since you mention "Scandisk", you are running Win9x/ME since there is no
> Scandisk in XP. Win2k and XP use Chkdsk. So, what operating system are
> you running? If you are running XP and were fooled into running malware
> called "Scandisk", then what Service Pack level do you have?
>
> If you don't have a full-featured antivirus installed, you can scan with
> Sysclean. Details and instructions are here:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>
> If you can get to the Internet, you can use Dave Lipman's Multi-AV
> instead if you like:
> http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm
>
> In any case, scan with one of those programs. After the scan is
> finished, get and install a full-featured av, update it, and do a
> thorough scan in Safe Mode.
>
> Report back your findings for more focused troubleshooting. Depending on
> the results, data may be recoverable from your secondary drive. If you
> have a virus, most definitely all Windows drives are at risk.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Relevant Pages

  • Re: LOST EVERYTHING on F: from Virus Is C: at Risk now?
    ... Please tell us the name, version, and whether your virus definitions ... Since you mention "Scandisk", you are running Win9x/ME since there is no ... finished, get and install a full-featured av, update it, and do a ... most definitely all Windows drives are at risk. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Win XP RPC Service Failure Reboot Rant Help - the story of a ruined weekend!
    ... "Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants" ... | of Windows ME to XP Home Edition and install Symantec Internet Security ... | mucked up Zone Alarm so uninstall it and switch on the XP firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Fixing broken XP install on XPS machine
    ... friend who's an IT tech" messed with it after an apparent virus attack. ... system boots, the pre-desktop screen displays a text message saying that ... We decided to first try a conservative strategy, doing a repair install ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Answers to frequently asked questions - 17SEP03
    ... I have this mystery re trying to install Norton ... Internet Security 2003 on my XP Pro. ... > specific virus, please tell us what it's name is! ... > date with antivirus software and more importantly ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker.B worm
    ... It started with my McAfee virus software being disabled ... point that even starting up windows xp would take over 5 minutes to ... same - I cannot install any software that is intended for finding ... The program can access FAT32 or NTFS partitions, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)