Re: Why IP address is fixed everytime connected to the Internet?

From: __spc__ (spamtime_at_ntlworld.com)
Date: 10/22/05

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:00:26 GMT

Your ISP will like as not assign a dynamic IP to your modem; the lease time
could be a set time, or until you power off/on the modem.

If your PC connects directly to the modem (i,e, there is no router
involved), you must makes sure that you have a firewall in place, at the
very least, Microsoft XP's own one if you are using XP. ZoneAlarm do an
excellent free on which I have found reliable as heck for 2 years.

If you have a router, then don't worry about this, as the router has inbuilt
firewall capabilities, and will assign IPs to the PCs on your network -
these IPs are hidden from the WAN (internet) side of the router. It is
still a good idea to run firewall software on each machine as this will stop
malware software 'calling home'; this being software that you will have
(accidentally) let through your router.