Re: Was I hacked?

From: Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \) ("Ignacio)
Date: 10/20/05

    Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:59:39 -0400

    Hi,

     No , I do not use any other profile.

    I had nothing out of ordinary running, and IIRC ( I'm at the office now ) I
    don't have any folders shared neither.

    Now, I do remember now that when I installed Quake 4 yesterday he asked me
    if he could install an anticheater soft. this is the only think I can think
    of right now. When I get to my house at noon I will execute it and see what
    happens.

    But, correctly if I'm wrong, but in XP pro can more than one person be
    logged at the same time? one in the console and another using TS? I was
    under the impression that this is not possible.

    cheers,

    --
    Ignacio Machin,
    ignacio.machin AT dot.state.fl.us
    > Do you use multiple profiles?
    > Was at least one other profile open when you started the shutdown process?
    > If you "Switch user" instead of "Log off" you are getting a normal
    > response since the other user is not logged off.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Ignacio Machin ( .NET/ C# MVP )" <ignacio.machin AT dot.state.fl.us>
    > wrote in message news:%23wYo%23iX1FHA.1740@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> This morning I went to shutdown my computer and I got a  popup saying
    >> "There are other users logged on the computer ... " and that strike me as
    >> something odd.
    >>
    >> These are the facts that I found out:
    >>

    >> I'm the only user of the computer, the other user defined as not login
    >> permission. My user has no password and IIRC you cannot connect using TS
    >> unless the user has a password, is this correct?
    >>
    >> I'm behind a DSL modem that has NAT. also have updated versions of NAV
    >> and MS antispyware.
    >>
    >> The only change I did yesterday was installing Quake 4 :)
    >>
    >> Also in the log I saw an entry saying something like "An application or
    >> service was using the log when the shutdown started so it could not
    >> finish written it, the log will be ....  This is probably cause a windows
    >> service was running as the logged user" , I do not recall any service
    >> running under my username.
    >>
    >> Has my machine being compromised in someway or I'm just being paranoic?
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ignacio Machin,
    >> ignacio.machin AT dot.state.fl.us
    >> Florida Department Of Transportation

    • Re: Mandatory Profile and GPO
      ... I logged in as est2 and ran gpupdate from cmd prompt, and got User Policy ... But I still have Shutdown available. ... If so have the profile as mandatory again with that settings applied. ...
    • Re: Profiling multithreaded C++ code
      ... and min of the combined profile of all threads hides this. ... > You use an optimized hash function that's very fast if a string passed ... > connection is in use during the call to shutdown. ... If the locks are held for short times, ...
      (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
    • Re: Windows XP Profile Problem - Taskbar locks up and shutdown slow
      ... SOMETIMES, instead of it hanging at the desktop, it will hang right ... Longer than a minute to get the Windows Shutdown ... be something in your User Profile that isn't quite right or damaged. ... If this item is present in the Event viewer, and is related to the problem ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Users Shared Folders
      ... it lessens error states during SBS shutdown. ... UPHC seems to unload the user profile earlier in the shutdown process, ... maybe just UPHC's actions allow the profile to be unloaded more quickly. ... Folders", which contain subfolders named after the user. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Was I hacked?
      ... Ignacio Machin (.NET/ C# MVP) wrote: ... I do not use any other profile. ... > I had nothing out of ordinary running, and IIRC (I'm at the office ... I do remember now that when I installed Quake 4 yesterday he ...
      (microsoft.public.security)