Re: Question about download blockers and Parental Controls...

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 10/01/05

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 10:30:33 -0500

I think that Malke suggests a great solution. With this new tool you can
configure and "lock" a users profile. I would suggest that the user profile
be configured so that Internet Explorer can not download files in internet
Web Content Zone using tools/internet options/security - custom level. The
other great thing it does is it can be configured to prevent a user from
executing any file that is not in the program files or system folder which
will prevent the regular user from installing anything. You would want to
make sure that they do not have any alternate web browsers or junk like
kazza installed and if so remove all that.

Beyond that it needs to be understood that a computer that is not physically
secured is at risk. To reduce that risk the owner should configure cmos to
only allow booting from the hard drive, password protect cmos settings [this
is not foolproof but worth trying], and using a computer case that can lock
access to the inside of the computer so that the "attacker" can not access
the cmos jumper or motherboard battery. If the "owner" finds their computer
compromised it is up to them how to handle the situation but I know what I
would do and it would not be politically correct. --- Steve

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Patrick Dickey wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I received an e-mail the other evening from a person with a
>> question
>> about download blockers. She has a teen-aged step-son along with a
>> couple of younger children, and wants something to put on the computer
>> to prevent the teenager from downloading things to the computer. The
>> only issue is, she and her husband don't want to have to use a
>> password or anything to be able to download things.
>> Their computer is a newer Dell, with Windows XP Home Edition on it.
>> So, what they're looking for is something to prevent limited users
>> from downloading files/programs (without a password, preferably) while
>> allowing Computer Administrators to still download files/programs
>> without having to type a password or anything like that.
>> Also, given the circumstances (the computer is located in the
>> basement where the teenager and their 7 year old daughter sleep, and
>> the adult's work schedules), if the download controller comes bundled
>> with a
>> decent Parental Controls program, they would like that too.
>> Otherwise, they're mainly concerned with the download controller.
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'm also crossposting this
>> to a couple of other newsgroups where it applies somewhat as well.
>>

> Hi, Patrick. Possibly the new Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit might
> work for them. However, I don't see how they can work this without
> using passwords. Here's a link to the Toolkit:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/faq.mspx
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Xbox 360 Lockup
    ... Read my blog for the latest in Media Center topics ... Please download and install MCXTOOLS and MCDIAG from connect ... It did lock up when I watched recoreded content. ... An unauthorized window was detected while running the Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: freezes during restoring Windows XP
    ... "Malke" wrote: ... Obviously you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the ... > download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. ... > the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Computer doesnt do automatic restart
    ... "Malke" wrote: ... > and feel if the laptop is getting too hot. ... > download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. ... > you will download the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Server Time Out
    ... WMB wrote: ... | Malke wrote: ... 120 seconds for the message to download when you select a header may not ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Question about download blockers and Parental Controls...
    ... Malke wrote: ... >>to prevent the teenager from downloading things to the computer. ... >>password or anything to be able to download things. ... MSN Premium Parental Controls, but that required her and the other ...
    (microsoft.public.security)