Re: Why IP address is fixed everytime connected to the Internet?

From: David Schwartz (davids_at_webmaster.com)
Date: 09/29/05

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:37:42 -0700

"Mike Preston" <mbpatpas@pacbell.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:433b00dd.265858143@news.INDIVIDUAL.NET...

>>Your ISP is assigning your Internet IP Address - You need a static
>>address if you are:
>>Hosting a mailserver
>>Hosting a website
>>Providing Dialin Access (VPN)

> No, you don't. no-ip, dyndns and similar services allow you to do all
> of the above with dynamic IPs.

    For hosting a mail server?! Surely you are joking.

    DS

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RRAS two way (pptp) vpn possible?
    ... it to connect via vpn from the outside via pptp tunnels.. ... We have a dedicated hosting server which sits outside of the local company ... We have no access to a firewall at this time on the hosting machine, ... Our firewall is a sonicwall firewall. ...
  • Re: VPN, Public Website & Tight Budget
    ... but not sure why you are worried about security when you're hosting a website on the box. ... You said its a static website, so probably for 10-15 a month you could host that on someone elses server ... Tighten up your server and still get your vpn ... We have a central office and a small satellite location with two PC's. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Why IP address is fixed everytime connected to the Internet?
    ... >>Hosting a mailserver ... >>Providing Dialin Access (VPN) ... > of the above with dynamic IPs. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Porting Access DB to a Web Application
    ... And I see Albert has explained how SQL Server hosting is quite ... I think Albert is wrong on the way he's casting it. ... mechanisms in place to do it right (i.e., over a VPN). ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: Sign To Look For If Your Computer Is Ferreted
    ... FromTheRafters Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and ... > 1) hosting for this domain is not configured ... a VPN was installed by a Malicious Ferrett! ...
    (alt.computer.security)