Software Restriction GPO Problem

From: Jeff Field (JeffField_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/29/05

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:52:03 -0700

Hello,
I have a Software Restriction policy going for my OUs and it is working
great except for one problem - though I have removed LNK/URL files from the
list of restricted extensions, it has had no effect. I've tried adding them
back in and removing them again. I know I am in the correct area of the GPO
(User\Windows\Security\Software Restriction Policies) but changing it has no
effect, and I don't have any other Software Restriction Policies, they only
exist within this OU. Is there something I am missing that I need to do to
exempt LNK/URL files other than remove them from the list?

If I specifically exempt these files using a path entry, it works, but only
for whatever directory I specifically state in the policy, and I would rather
not do that as I would like the users to be able to organize their shortcuts
in folders and such. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of
problem?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • [Full-disclosure] Windows Software Restriction Policy Protection Bypass
    ... Windows Software Restriction Policy Protection Bypass ... via secondary logon service. ... Try to launch notepad ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Windows Software Restriction Policy Protection Bypass
    ... Windows Software Restriction Policy Protection Bypass ... via secondary logon service. ... Try to launch notepad ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: SUS/WSUS & Software Restriction Policies
    ... but apply a software restriction policy mildly amusing. ... > when SUS is going to be replaced anyway. ... >> operating system, update methodologies, application installation ...
  • Re: how to delete software restriction policy?
    ... do you delete the 2 folders the software restriction policy creates when you ... initially create a new Policy under "Software Restriction Poicies"? ... Remove the GPO setting with rightclick. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Software Restriction Policy
    ... Make sure that the computer knows it is no longer a member of a ... You can't use software restriction policies unless the box is a domain ... >> When I open gpedit.msc it opens the Local Computer ... and there is no Software Restriction Policy ...