Re: puzzling connections

From: rzr (rzr_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/10/05

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:41:03 -0700

As I replied to Steve, I'm a kid where the more technical aspects of this are
concerned. I'm on broadband (over the LAN cable to a cablemodem and out onto
the net from there), and my networkplaces is basically empty, except for a
connection to my college's shared workspace. There are no other connections
in the network, no other PC's at my home. I'm just puzzled by seeing my IP
with the last octet removed and replaced with 255.

Thanks for replying.

"N. Miller" wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 19:18:05 -0700, rzr wrote:
>
> > Is there any good way to verify who is in the range? I've seen quite a bit of
> > activity on the broadcast IP lately and I'm not sure I like that. What are
> > the security implications of this?
>
> In my case, such traffic is normal between 192.168.102.1 (gateway router),
> 192.168.102.100 (computer), and 192.168.102.101 (computer). On some
> occasions, when I play with the dial-up modem on the SMC Barricade 7004BR,
> 192.168.102.3 will chime in. Or, if the Sony PS2 is up, some other,
> non-NetBIOS traffic, for 192.168.102.12.
>
> There are no security implications, beyond the general threat of having an
> intruder gain access to my LAN; very unlikely because it is wired, with no
> exterior access to the wiring. The IP address in question is an RFC 1918
> reserved address for private use.
>
> The security implications are enormous if the IP addresses in question are
> on the Internet; everybody on the Internet would have access to your
> network NetBIOS naming; and, potentially, to your shared data.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Relevant Pages

  • drone armies C&C report - July/2005
    ... 3356 LEVEL3 Level 3 Communications ... 3491 BTN-ASN - Beyond The Network A ... 3801 MISNET - Mikrotec Internet Ser ... 15857 DIALOG-AS DIALOG-NET Autonomuo ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Masquerading problem... can you help?
    ... server to masquerade a simple network and allow access to ... My server uses a modem to dial the internet. ... `SuSE-FW-DROP-DEFAULT' ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: U.S. as Traffic Cop in Web Fight
    ... Internet providers to treat all Web traffic equally, ... Digits: What Is Net Neutrality? ... AT&T cited network congestion concerns. ... Phone companies including AT&T have argued that they can live with the FCC's ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Verizon rules the World? Or just the U.S.?
    ... Internet these days? ... network can now branch anywhere, and network data transfer is a piece ... Nearly all computer science departments and many private computer ... all these networks have gateways to the NSF backbone.) ...
    (rec.arts.mystery)