Re: Is SSL protection active without padlock in Explorer Task Bar?

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 07/09/05

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 06:26:00 -0700

If what Paul indicates does not lead to a secure session,
then I would have to question how well the information
is protected once on their systems, not just there choices
for getting info back and forth in a browsing session.
Sort of the rock in the stream telling one about the mountain
from which it came.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your reply, Tom;
> No, There is no HTTPS;  in front of the URL.  I forgot to mention that was
> the other tipoff that there was a problem.  By the way you can look the
URL
> if you like, it is  <  http://www.centerstatebank.com/  >   Notice the
upper
> left signon box has a picture of a padlock.  They say that means it is
> secure.
>
> The Bank says that the site will be HTTPS and be secure once I enter the
> signon and password.  I said to them, my gut told me that if the page was
not
> secure when I enter the SO/PW then my signon could be compromised.  They
come
> back that other online banking sites such as Wachovia also use this same
> approach.  My response to them was, that I probably would not do my online
> banking with them either.
>
> Nick
>
> "Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:
>
> > Does the URL in the browser show as https:// .. signifying a secure
> > connection.  If not, I personally would not sign in.
> >
> > Tom
> > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | One of my banks has gone to a new internet banking supplier.  They
have a
> > new
> > | online banking site that does not have the SSL padlock symbol
displayed in
> > | the explorer task bar.  They have a picture of the padlock up in the
> > graphics
> > | next to the sign-on and password boxes displayed on their signon page,
but
> > | none down where I have been accustomed to looking to see if the data
was
> > | secure.  They (the Bank) repeatedly tell me that entry is protected
and
> > once
> > | enter my password and get into the site the padlock will be there.
They
> > say
> > | this is safe, but I do not trust it.
> > |
> > | I am afraid that if the password is entered outside SSL protection
that
> > | could be bad.  Every other banking, credit card, and business site I
use
> > has
> > | the padlock protection symbol displayed in the task bar when the sign
on
> > | pages are displayed.
> > |
> > | CAN THEY BE TRUSTED?  Of should I find another bank?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is SSL protection active without padlock in Explorer Task Bar?
    ... signifying a secure ... | One of my banks has gone to a new internet banking supplier. ... They have a picture of the padlock up in the ... | the padlock protection symbol displayed in the task bar when the sign on ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: How [not] to Secure Your Browsers Saved Passwords
    ... Using secure master password in your browser you get protection ... That is using browser built-in mechanism for password storage is as ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Lightweight Firewall?
    ... protection. ... The general home user will not pay thousands of dollars for ... corporate level firewalls and hire Chloe from 24 full time to watch their ... What will protect the user is to use common sense, secure or harden O/S to attack, practice safehex and not depend upon snake oil solutions like a crutch thinking everything is okey dokey. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Registration Code
    ... I encypted the bytecode of a few important functions with a key based on ... This is somewhat more secure than just testing the ... Although decompiling python byte-code (even from py2exe wrapped ... I'd release the early versions using simple protection mechanisms, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Want to find a service company to write an Excel 2003 macro
    ... none of these techniques are bullet proof. ... As I am sure you are aware, no cryptography is 100% secure. ... is shown as the workbook opens, unless the date in the macro is passed. ... I have used the workbook protection to prevent the sheet being copied to ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)