Re: how to change all domain user account passwords at once

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 07/08/05

Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:49:06 -0500

One way is you could create a simple batch file and run it on your domain
controller. Such a batch file could be made with notepad and then name it
something like pwdchg.bat. You would have to logon as a domain administrator
to run such batch file. Just enter lines like net user bob newpassword .

Be sure to test such on a few test use accounts to make sure it works as
expected and always make a backup of your System State of your domain
controller first so you have a rollback plan "just in case" anytime you are
attempting such projects. Regular system state backups are best practice
anyhow.

The above will not change any "local" user acount passwords on domain
computers. If that ever needs to be done you can use the Resource Kit tool
cusrmgr or PsPasswd tool free from SysInternals to create a batch file to do
that.

"zooeyhallne" <zooeyhallne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I am generally familiar with AD security, but need some advice on
> something
> we are trying to do. We need to change all of our domain user account
> passwords, and it needs to be done all at once i.e. overnight or on a
> weekend. This is about 200 users in a W2k domain with AD. Most of the
> workstations are running 2000 and XP. We will be assigning/creating the
> password that each user will use.
>
> Is there a way to assign passwords to each user account, and make the
> change
> overnight/weekend? Thanks so much for any advice! Feel free to ask more
> questions if you need clarification on what we want to do.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Change all my Local Admin passwords automatically...
    ... You can use the command "net user username new password" in a batch file to ... run as a "startup" script for a group of computers in an Organizational Unit ... You can use Computer Management to change passwords on ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Change all my Local Admin passwords automatically...
    ... You can use the command "net user username new password" in a batch file to ... run as a "startup" script for a group of computers in an Organizational Unit ... You can use Computer Management to change passwords on ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: User names and passwords in an encrypted batch file?
    ... | What's the purpose of the encryption?! ... Usernames and passwords. ... User names and passwords hidden inside an encrypted batch file? ...
    (comp.os.msdos.4dos)
  • RE: bulk creation of user passwords
    ... I use a simple batch file with the line: net user (look ... >>batch file with passwords in it, ... We can do it as a separate step to the csvde ...
  • Re: SEPKILL /im SMC.EXE /f
    ... Just as an update couldn't get any further other than t.he fact that SMCGui.exe is getting killed as its running in the user account and SMC.exe in the system account. ... Subject: SEPKILL /im SMC.EXE /f ... If done from a batch file the command is completed only when the process is stopped. ...
    (Bugtraq)