Why are programs not digitally signed to protect against viruses?

From: S Marsden (Marsden_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/28/05

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:58:04 -0700

Why are Windows and all other software programs' dll's not digitally signed?
Wouldn't this make it a lot easier to determine what files on a computer were
valid, and which were potential viruses?

When a dll or exe or cab file is signed, and you right click that file, you
will see a tab for "Digital Signatures" and you can verify that the file is
actually from who it says it is from. The "Versions" tab on file properties
shows the company but this can be easily spoofed by anyone who writes their
own program.

Whenever we have a virus, we painstakingly go through each service and do
google, and symantec searches on it, to try and verify its authenticity. A
digital signature for each file would allow this process to be automated. The
computer could be scanned and all unsigned suspect programs could be
identified automatically.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: SP2 disappearing "Digital Signatures" tab
    ... Thank you for posting and the interests on the "Digital Signatures" tab. ... To protect this .cat file, ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ...
  • Re: IAS with PEAP and Airespace (now Cisco 1000)
    ... I asked the dev about this and he replied: ... ""Digital Signatures" tab will show up only for binaries with embedded ... Those signed through cat file will not have that tab. ... >> find when you look at the dll properties that might be of assistance. ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.radius)
  • Re: SP2 disappearing "Digital Signatures" tab
    ... I have a clean installed Windows XP with Service Pack 2 computer. ... Open Windows Explorer, ... Signatures" tab at more. ... |> the Digital Signautre and should not have Digital Signatures tab. ...
  • Re: SP2 disappearing "Digital Signatures" tab
    ... there are six tab for the Properties of XPSP2.exe. ... Version, Compatibility, Digital Signatures, Security and Summary. ... restart the computer and press F8 just before the Windows ... Microsoft Online Partner Support ...
  • RE: KB950740
    ... The RPC was the only one that was stopped so I started it. ... Under the Log On tab the 'This Account' option button was enabled ... I still get the 'Setup could not verify the integrity of the ... Microsoft Update Web site to see if you can obtain updates. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)