Re: Shared folder security settings

From: Duane (Duane_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/25/05

    Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:03:01 -0700

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > If the user does not have full control, change permissions special
    > permission, or is not the owner of a file/folder they will not be able to
    > change permissions assuming that they are not local administrators. You
    > might be able to use Group Policy to hide the security tab but that will not
    > prevent users from changing permissions at the command line if they have the
    > ability to do such and know how to. For Group Policy look under user
    > configuration/administrative templates/Windows components/Windows Explorer -
    > hide the security tab. The links below may also be of help. --- Steve
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193826
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b303153

    Steven,
    Thank you for your response, we actually found it as I got your reply. The
    issue is that the shares are the users folders but insted of setting share
    permissions they change the security permissions and mess things up. They
    can't log on locally so your suggestion actually works for us.

    • Groups & Permissions
      ... security tab on start assigning permissions. ... I cant seem to figure out how to assign permissions to ... I can't figure out how to create a group policy ...
    • Re: FTP problem with more than 2 users configured
      ... After this I ran Filemon and set it to filter on "inetinfo". ... I think you'll agree that file permissions are not the issue here. ... >> began after the installation of Exchange Server 2003. ... >> computer from the network' for other users with the Group Policy ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
    • RE: Error binding to local domain
      ... away because I was away for a couple weeks and I do not force permissions on ... The permissions dialog just times out trying to resolve the ... >> following event "Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. ... >> An Active Directory, network connectivity, or network configuration problem ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: receiving access denied message on all folders in logical pa
      ... In order to access the security tab in XP Home edition you're ... ownership. ... >> Administrator account (e.g. it may be called Administrator, ... >> Review the listed permissions configuration and adjust as ...
    • Re: Would like to lockdown public computer
      ... not have access to any shares for share permissions or ntfs permissions. ... Learn to use Group Policy. ... protect the cmos settings as it is easy to reboot a computer from a floppy ... the mandatory profile on the local computer and then have the users account ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)