Re: Shared folder security settings

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 06/24/05

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:33:11 -0500

If the user does not have full control, change permissions special
permission, or is not the owner of a file/folder they will not be able to
change permissions assuming that they are not local administrators. You
might be able to use Group Policy to hide the security tab but that will not
prevent users from changing permissions at the command line if they have the
ability to do such and know how to. For Group Policy look under user
configuration/administrative templates/Windows components/Windows Explorer -
hide the security tab. The links below may also be of help. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193826
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b303153

"Duane" <Duane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On a NAS with 2003 Appliance we want to prevent the users from changing
> the
> security settings on the folders by either not displaying the security tab
> but preferably through a GPO that would not allow them to change the
> security
> settings of the folder. We have tried to do it as a local GPO to prevent
> changing attributes but this does not work. Can someone please help?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: File Access permissions
    ... You can change permissions by right clicking on a file and choosing ... properties and then clicking the security tab. ... > My wifes & my machines are networked, ...
  • Re: psc 1210
    ... The page Byte refers to has a link to change permissions for a printer. ... security tab does not appear at all for me even when holding down the ... Ctrl key. ... >> admin powers cannot print anything using the psc 1210. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: AIYEEEE! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
    ... On XP Professional the Security tab is brought into view in: ... Use simple file sharing. ... I know that such permissions were once there, ... > back to the normal security tab which allowed me to change permissions? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Home network question
    ... Josh ... > Do I change permissions on the share tab or the security tab? ... Prev by Date: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: folder ownership rights etc.
    ... one "takes ownership" of an item, ... which confers power to change permissions, ... There's no reason for XP to be more ... |> Now I will copy selected folders fron the Toshiba drive to my main ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)