Re: HOSTS file???

From: Tom Pepper Willett (tompepper_at_mvps.invalid)
Date: 06/24/05

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:11:11 -0500

I run the hosts file as read only on several computers, and have never had a
problem wiht Symantec live update.

Tom

| I have seen a couple of the replies you received tell you to mark the
HOSTS
| file as 'read only'. Whilst I am no expert myself, I undersatand that if
you
| are running Symantec products that use LiveUpdate, then you cold run into
| problems geting LiveUpdate to run. As part of the solution Symantec
suggest
| that you remove the 'read only' flag from HOSTS file. I lost the will to
| live trying to understand all this techie stuff ages ago.
|
| CT
| "Susan" wrote:
|
| > I've heard about checking your HOSTS file for possible hijacks. I
checked
| > mine (through WinPatrol) and found, in addition to my local host file,
one
| > called 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com. What is this? Is it good or
bad?
| > If it is bad, what do I do now? I confess that I really don't know much
| > about HOSTS files...I googled this but it didn't make a whole lot of
sense to
| > me.
| >
| > I regularly (daily) update and run AdAware, Spybot S&D, and a
daily-updated
| > virus scan with realtime monitor. I usually come up clean on Ad-Aware
and
| > Spybot, except for minor non-critical items.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: cannot browse urls that contain symantec or mcafee
    ... to the desired sites ... You can use a simple batch file to rename the HOSTS file "on-the-fly". ... > I was infected by the w32.hllw.gaobot.gen virus right ... > I also tried symantec but it reroutes to this link: ...
  • Re: Trojan.Qhosts Virus Detected on my Windows Home Laptop :-( He
    ... You've apparently gotten infected with the QHosts trojan. ... this virus, be sure to get the EXTRADAT.exe ... An alternative that by report works much better than the Symantec tool ... Trojan Qhosts hijacks the HOSTS file, however unlike normal redirectors, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Trojan.Qhosts Virus Detected on my Windows Home Laptop :-( He
    ... Thanks for you advice. ... I have moved the hosts file to my desktop, ... I have already tried turning off System Restore and running the Symantec ... I don't understand I have tried more or less everything but this Virus seems ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Trojan.Qhosts Virus Detected on my Windows Home Laptop :-( Help!!
    ... Now try the internet, it ... > Norton has detected a virus called Trojan.Qhosts ... > I have followed the Symantec Norton's advice by downloading a Trojan.Qhosts ... > I have also noticed that if I click on the hosts file found in ...
    ... Mike Burgess http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ ... Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file ... >>> I also tried symantec but it reroutes to this link: ...