Re: Is it safe to delete this from Registry?

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 06/23/05

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:48:40 -0500

Try booting your computer into safe mode and running your antispyware to see
if that will help. You need to tap F8 key repeatedly [one a second] while
the computer is booting up but before the operating system loads. Always try
add/remove programs before doing any registry mod. If that does not work you
can simply try deleting the file/folder from the program files folder. If
you delete the folder you may not need to delete the entry from the
registry. If you are not familiar with registry editing them do not do such
unless you absolutely have to and then only with explicit instructions if
possible. It is not all that hard to edit the registry but I prefer user
learn on a test computer and not their main computer. Windows 98 does
however allow you to restore the registry from a backup that it keeps on
hand if things go awry. See the link below for more on that and you are
never too old to become a little knowledgeable about anything. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q221512/

"T.R." <TR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble with my anti-spyware not being able to remove something
> called "Apropos" and which has something to do with "ads". I do see a
> file
> with the name "Apropos Media" (1.0.0.1) in my Programs list and also in my
> Registry. Do any of you know if it is safe to delete this from the
> Registry
> and/or Programs? If I should do both deletions, which should I do first?
> Allso an "Uninstall" file in the Programs Apropos folder.
>
> Any help would be appreciated as I have never tried modifying my Registry
> (fearing a "crash"), or removing a program which my Windows might need. I
> am
> too old to be knowledgeable in this area, so any explanations in
> non-technical terms would really help me.
>
> BTW, I am running Windows 98SE.
>
> Thanks.....
>
> T.R.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Nearly 100% CPU Usage
    ... Paul Calcagno wrote: ... for the download) will this registry problem go away that might have been ... is that I ran the OneCare Live scanner in safe mode. ... Add-ons because trying to enable them one at a time when IE is open ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Nearly 100% CPU Usage
    ... that's an option if undoing the Registry changes does not work. ... it opens, tries to connect to the home page, then shuts itself down. ... is that I ran the OneCare Live scanner in safe mode. ... Add-ons because trying to enable them one at a time when IE is open ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Start Menu
    ... Took my life in my hands and gave CCLeaner a go specifically the Registry Cleaner. ... I should mention I no longer try and use Trend Micro Housecalls - it has lousy communication screens and I found that it was telling me it was going through phases, but leaving it alone for some 30 minutes I got the message it was in a loop. ... So I switched to IE, which I don't normally use and there was a prompt to download Google Chrome, which I did. ... I tried Safe Mode but without selecting 'Safe Mode with Networking' I couldn't e-mail or browse. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Nearly 100% CPU Usage
    ... Regarding how I may have screwed up the registry by running OneCare Live Scan, without making anyone feel uncomfortable, I was given advice on this post to run this by a person I consider an expert. ... it opens, tries to connect to the home page, then shuts itself down. ... is that I ran the OneCare Live scanner in safe mode. ... Add-ons because trying to enable them one at a time when IE is open ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: cant restart after system restore
    ... I couldn't get all the way IN in safe mode, so I undid my system restore. ... service was still using the registry during log off. ... the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account. ... Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. ...