Re: Computer in a Workgroup Access in a Domain Setting

From: plane123 (plane123_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/21/05

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:55:16 -0700

Phillip,
Thank you for replying.
When I access resources, I mean I actually map a drive.
For instance I can map a drive to \\computer\c$ and it let's me in.
The user I'm logged into on the machine at the time is usually the local
admin on the box.

"Phillip Windell" wrote:

> You will have to specifiy what "access resources" means. Just being able to
> see the shares listed in Network Places or in Explorer is not the same as
> accessing them. Any Workgroup machine can access shares if the right domain
> credentials are manually given. Giving "Everyone" permission would not do
> it because in the context of the domain "Everyone" means "Everyone on the
> Domain" not "everyone in the world" so the "Everyone" on the Workgroup
> machine would not fit into that.
>
> --
>
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com
>
> "plane123" <plane123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I noticed that when a new computer is being built [Windows 2000, Windows
> XP
> > or even a Windows 2003], and before it is added to the domain, it can
> access
> > resources on a file server [a Windows 2000 server].
> > The domain is Windows 2003 functional.
> > How can that be tightened down?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: @Massimo: Was sind denn genau die Bugs und deren Folgen?
    ... Map a drive to a CIFS share ... Access the drive in Windows Explorer by double clicking the "Computer" icon ...
    (de.comp.sys.novell)
  • Re: Windows Explorer freezes computer/mouse
    ... connection and that takes time, especially on a very busy file server. ... After you use Windows Explorer to connect to the "map" and have to wait ... revisit the "map" (and the revisit is within a minute or two of when you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Explorer freezes computer/mouse
    ... connection and that takes time, especially on a very busy file server. ... After you use Windows Explorer to connect to the "map" and have to wait ... revisit the "map" (and the revisit is within a minute or two of when you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • dirve map problem
    ... I got this message when I try to map a drive from explorer upon clicking ... Not enough server storage is available to process this command. ... I also noticed that when I try to add user or group to shared folder it tend ...
  • Re: Exact boundaries of OS sheets
    ... references of the corners, and any areas obscured by the map key on ... The map images on the OS website do not ... will accurately tell me which maps cover a given grid reference? ... and they will recommend you to buy Explorer 318, ...
    (uk.rec.walking)