MS document encryption

From: Abut (taylormc2305_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 06/13/05

Date: 13 Jun 2005 09:35:00 -0700

I want to ensure that documents passworded by our staff are encrypted
with something stronger than the 40-bit encryption provided by default.
Accordingly, I have followed the advice given in the MS Office
Assistance document "Import Aspects of Password and Encryption
Protection" on setting the "DefaultEncryption" registry keys on my PC.

Unfortunately, when I run up Word, even after a reboot, it still seems
to default to 40-bit encryption, though I can select and use the
stronger encryption.

How can I make Word default to using the stronger encryption?

Martin Taylor

Relevant Pages

  • Re: About jobfuscate
    ... decrypts it, which is a stronger form of obfuscation) is stronger ... encryption but leaves a decryption key in the hands of every would-be ... Encryption is even easier to break than obfuscation. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: MDE application cracking issues
    ... Hmm. ... Are you suggesting that Access's encryption is not ... It's stronger in 2007 than before, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • Re: Algorithms to generate permutations
    ... Most block cyphers are concatenations of primative encryption steps ... YOu could stop after 1,2,3,4 rounds and you would have an ... AES is stronger than mini-AES which is AES but with only half of the rounds. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Encrypting one line
    ... itself and encrypt only one message per key in this manner, ... one-time pad, which is unbreakable, and stronger than any other form of ... [There are a number of downsides to OTP encryption, ...
    (borland.public.delphi.language.objectpascal)
  • Re: Nationwide fiasco
    ... There's probably policies that disallow it but staff do things they ... IMO, all sensitive data on portable devices - no matter whether they're ... And not with MS Word's "encryption", either, but with something properly ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)