MS document encryption

From: Abut (
Date: 06/13/05

Date: 13 Jun 2005 09:35:00 -0700

I want to ensure that documents passworded by our staff are encrypted
with something stronger than the 40-bit encryption provided by default.
Accordingly, I have followed the advice given in the MS Office
Assistance document "Import Aspects of Password and Encryption
Protection" on setting the "DefaultEncryption" registry keys on my PC.

Unfortunately, when I run up Word, even after a reboot, it still seems
to default to 40-bit encryption, though I can select and use the
stronger encryption.

How can I make Word default to using the stronger encryption?

Martin Taylor