Re: Firewall

From: Malke (
Date: 06/02/05

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:20:01 -0700

Jules wrote:

> I cannot turn on my firewall, the system responds with "Windows
> firewall cannot be displayed because the associated service is not
> running. Do you want to start the Windows firewall/Internet connection
> sharing (ICS) service?" when i click 'yes' a pop up says "Windows
> cannot start the Windows firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS)
> service". Can anybody help me?

Without more specific information from you about your system, all I can
give you are these general links:

FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:

MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall (or to reset firewall):
Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

Start there and if you need more help, post back with details about your
system (operating system is assumed to be XP - Home or Pro, service
pack level), what antivirus you have installed (name and version), what
changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't, etc.

Elephant Boy Computers
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Relevant Pages