Re: Authenticated users permissions

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 05/26/05

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:37:18 -0700

"Matt Carter" <MattCarter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1A028C81-E67C-4337-A87E-A4FC8665A8CC@microsoft.com...
> Thank you Mr. Abell, I was able to go in and select to Security tab and
then
> the Advanced button and selected to DEselect the Inherit from permission
> entries and it wondered if I wanted to COPY and I did so, and that fixed
it.
> After that some files / folders did not have the permissions. I then
> selected to select the checkbox for Replace permission entries on all
child
> objects... That did the trick. I was able to go in and Edit the
> Authenticated Users permission and select it to be Read Only (not denying
> anything) and then the users who needed Modify permissions were allowed to
do
> so.
> Thank you. I was lost.
> I feel much better. Thank you for taking the time to comprehend my
raving.
> I am appreciative!
>
> matt

No problem Matt - glad you are for now fixed up.
There are a number of switches, and at first is can be difficult to see
the whole picture of how these interact.

--
Roger

> "Roger Abell" wrote:
>
> > In NTFS when you block inheritance at a folder, this is for all
inheritable
> > permissions.  When you do this you can choose to copy the inherited
which
> > will turn them into the initial explicit permissions on the new
inheritance
> > point that folder becomes.  These can then be modified as needed, and
then
> > the checkbox to apply these to all subordinate structure (files and
> > subfolders)
> > may be used to adjust all lower permissions to what has now been set
(this
> > part is particularly relevant if there are additional explicit grants or
are
> > any
> > other inheritance points set in the pre-existing substructure)
> >
> > Sometimes, with some thought, one can find a way so that at the
uppermost
> > level the least common permissions are granted, and then these are
> > increased,
> > without blocking inheritance, by merely adding additional explicit
> > permissions
> > at the specific subfolders.  Note that these added permissions can be
set so
> > that they affect only the one folder where set and do not inherit, or
they
> > may
> > be left in default as added inheritables.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4)  MCDBA
> > "Matt Carter" <MattCarter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am having trouble.  I have a shared drive on my 2003 network that is
> > > accessed by the company.  It is set up to have the root, S:\ to be
> > > Authenticated Users (Modify) access.  It is inherited to another
folder,
> > > accessed by numermous groups / users (the Auth. Users permissions are
> > > Inherited).  A subfolder of that is where I would like to "limit."  I
> > would
> > > like to make it so that Authenticated Users only have READ access to
the
> > > folders / files from this folder to child folders.  I would like to
have
> > > other users (also on our network) to be allowed to have WRITE / MODIFY
> > > access.  I am having trouble setting it up.  When I try to REMOVE to
the
> > > Inherited permissions for Authenticated Users, it removes ALL
permissions
> > on
> > > the folder.  No default Domain Admin, Enter. Admin, Creator Owner,
System,
> > > (etc.).
> > > I was able to recreate the permissions and set them on the folders and
> > > subfolders / files.  The issue is that files from "yesterday" and
previous
> > > are ACCESS DENIED.  They are using the READ ONLY permissions from
> > > Authenticated Users (a few users should have MODIFY permissions and
they
> > are
> > > "locked out").  However! if those users with Modify permissions create
or
> > > work on documents "today" they are able to access them.  The issue is
that
> > > they have numerous files and subfolders that do not have current
> > information.
> > >  If I try to copy the folders and paste them, it keeps the inherited
> > > permisions from the default share with Authenticated Users as Modify.
> > am
> > > flustered.
> > >
> > > Thank you for possibly helping.
> > >
> > > Matt

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need help with Shared drives and permissions
    ... I believe by "default" at the root C:\ the permissions should be ... I turn on "Inheritance" at the root as I do want all the above at ... Now when I get to a sub folder where it is strictly ... traverse through that folder yet alone be able to view or see the folders. ...
  • Re: Authenticated users permissions
    ... In NTFS when you block inheritance at a folder, ... will turn them into the initial explicit permissions on the new inheritance ... > Authenticated Users access. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: programmatically change permissions on folder in windows?
    ... as seen in the Adv / Edit drill-in, then the new ACE ... if inheritance is blocked at some ... > programmatically change permissions on folder in windows ... > Then folder> security> Advanced> Permissions> Replace permission entries ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Need help with Shared drives and permissions
    ... If you check a sub folder and see that it is inheriting ... that inherits permissions from a parent folder and add a user or group. ... I turn off inheritance. ...
  • Re: ADAM And ACLs
    ... The ACLs for the OU which is the parent of the object below are: ... Effective Permissions on this object are: ... SPECIAL ACCESS ... for the naming context and is usually present by inheritance, ...