Re: Authenticated users permissions

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 05/26/05

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:37:18 -0700

"Matt Carter" <MattCarter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1A028C81-E67C-4337-A87E-A4FC8665A8CC@microsoft.com...
> Thank you Mr. Abell, I was able to go in and select to Security tab and
then
> the Advanced button and selected to DEselect the Inherit from permission
> entries and it wondered if I wanted to COPY and I did so, and that fixed
it.
> After that some files / folders did not have the permissions. I then
> selected to select the checkbox for Replace permission entries on all
child
> objects... That did the trick. I was able to go in and Edit the
> Authenticated Users permission and select it to be Read Only (not denying
> anything) and then the users who needed Modify permissions were allowed to
do
> so.
> Thank you. I was lost.
> I feel much better. Thank you for taking the time to comprehend my
raving.
> I am appreciative!
>
> matt

No problem Matt - glad you are for now fixed up.
There are a number of switches, and at first is can be difficult to see
the whole picture of how these interact.

--
Roger

> "Roger Abell" wrote:
>
> > In NTFS when you block inheritance at a folder, this is for all
inheritable
> > permissions.  When you do this you can choose to copy the inherited
which
> > will turn them into the initial explicit permissions on the new
inheritance
> > point that folder becomes.  These can then be modified as needed, and
then
> > the checkbox to apply these to all subordinate structure (files and
> > subfolders)
> > may be used to adjust all lower permissions to what has now been set
(this
> > part is particularly relevant if there are additional explicit grants or
are
> > any
> > other inheritance points set in the pre-existing substructure)
> >
> > Sometimes, with some thought, one can find a way so that at the
uppermost
> > level the least common permissions are granted, and then these are
> > increased,
> > without blocking inheritance, by merely adding additional explicit
> > permissions
> > at the specific subfolders.  Note that these added permissions can be
set so
> > that they affect only the one folder where set and do not inherit, or
they
> > may
> > be left in default as added inheritables.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4)  MCDBA
> > "Matt Carter" <MattCarter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am having trouble.  I have a shared drive on my 2003 network that is
> > > accessed by the company.  It is set up to have the root, S:\ to be
> > > Authenticated Users (Modify) access.  It is inherited to another
folder,
> > > accessed by numermous groups / users (the Auth. Users permissions are
> > > Inherited).  A subfolder of that is where I would like to "limit."  I
> > would
> > > like to make it so that Authenticated Users only have READ access to
the
> > > folders / files from this folder to child folders.  I would like to
have
> > > other users (also on our network) to be allowed to have WRITE / MODIFY
> > > access.  I am having trouble setting it up.  When I try to REMOVE to
the
> > > Inherited permissions for Authenticated Users, it removes ALL
permissions
> > on
> > > the folder.  No default Domain Admin, Enter. Admin, Creator Owner,
System,
> > > (etc.).
> > > I was able to recreate the permissions and set them on the folders and
> > > subfolders / files.  The issue is that files from "yesterday" and
previous
> > > are ACCESS DENIED.  They are using the READ ONLY permissions from
> > > Authenticated Users (a few users should have MODIFY permissions and
they
> > are
> > > "locked out").  However! if those users with Modify permissions create
or
> > > work on documents "today" they are able to access them.  The issue is
that
> > > they have numerous files and subfolders that do not have current
> > information.
> > >  If I try to copy the folders and paste them, it keeps the inherited
> > > permisions from the default share with Authenticated Users as Modify.
> > am
> > > flustered.
> > >
> > > Thank you for possibly helping.
> > >
> > > Matt

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need help with Shared drives and permissions
    ... I believe by "default" at the root C:\ the permissions should be ... I turn on "Inheritance" at the root as I do want all the above at ... Now when I get to a sub folder where it is strictly ... traverse through that folder yet alone be able to view or see the folders. ...
  • Re: Authenticated users permissions
    ... In NTFS when you block inheritance at a folder, ... will turn them into the initial explicit permissions on the new inheritance ... > Authenticated Users access. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: programmatically change permissions on folder in windows?
    ... as seen in the Adv / Edit drill-in, then the new ACE ... if inheritance is blocked at some ... > programmatically change permissions on folder in windows ... > Then folder> security> Advanced> Permissions> Replace permission entries ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Need help with Shared drives and permissions
    ... If you check a sub folder and see that it is inheriting ... that inherits permissions from a parent folder and add a user or group. ... I turn off inheritance. ...
  • Re: cannot delete folders or files with empty security users
    ... When you disabled the Inheritance from the parent you should have ... to remove the current permissions. ... owner can add the permissions to the folder. ... > properties window of that folder is empty and contains no groups or users. ...