Re: Meaning of access rights

From: Galen (galennews_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/24/05

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:04:24 -0400

"JJMM991" <JJMM991@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E092C162-7BF1-4FC6-9CB8-3A14D56BD3AA@microsoft.com...
> RWXD are the access rights.. What is the D?
>
> R=Read
> W=Write
> X=Execute
> D=delete???
> --

In short, yes. However here's a bit more information that you probably
wanted but it's worth looking. The information is for XP and 2k and one is
specifically for Word but they do a great job at explaining permissions.

WD2000: Windows 2000 Permissions That Are Required to Run Word:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=277867

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files ...:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308419

Galen

--
"And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability with
which he prefaced it, was,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Checking if a file exists regardless of the permissions on it
    ... "Exception based programming" ... ... false if I do not have necessary permissions. ... If it did then an application could request information from your system and ... it'll probably be an access rights or sharing issue. ...
  • Re: tar or zipping files to which you have no explicit access?
    ... > users' directories to a single archive file. ... > do NOT want to limit the access rights end users can assign to their ... After archiving the objects into to a single ... perhaps they need to have very strict permissions for code ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: tar or zipping files to which you have no explicit access?
    ... > do NOT want to limit the access rights end users can assign to their ... After archiving the objects into to a single ... perhaps they need to have very strict permissions for code ... > archive regardless of their permissions or acls. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Strange NTFS permission problems
    ... I was going through the procedures for setting up IIS 5 with minimum NTFS ... I not only can't apply Creator Owner full access rights on the root drive, ...