Re: Hard Drive Password Protection

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 05/11/05

Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:31:04 -0700

In XP Home edition one must use a Safe Mode (F8) boot in
order to access the NTFS permissions dialog in the properties
of files, folders, and the root of partitions that are formatted
with NTFS.

All filesystem (and much other) access control in Windows is
done by naming the accounts that will be allowed access, rather
than by placing passwords on things as was done with earlier
DOS family versions of Windows.

MS has a small group of KB articles that walk through the use
of NTFS permissions in XP. Regrettably I do not have those
links at hand, but if that is something you need, a post over in
the windowsxp.security_admin newsgroup will likely get you
all the directions that you need.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
"dazed1" <dazed1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im running windows XP home edition. i have 3 hard drives (C,D,E). i am the
> admin. for this pc but it has a guest account and is shared on the home
> network. is there a way i can password protect an entire harddrive (other
> than the C drive) or atleast the folders within the other two harddrives
> without having to attach them to a specific user profile?
> Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How can I change the file type?
    ... |>>> options under Managing pairs of Web pages and folders. ... |>> Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Advanced. ... |>> Windows Components ... | unfortunately I have the home edition and when i tried ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: cannot rename files or change icons
    ... Your malware attack has changed the 'Permissions" of your files and folders. ... In Home Edition of XP you must log on in Safe Mode, if Pro Edition, simply rightclick an object for Properties, and the Security tab does the 'ownership' changing. ... I am running Windows XP Pro, Office 2002 Pro, with Windows Defender. ...
  • Re: File sharing capabilities of XP Home
    ... has XP home edition on and the rest are just NTFS file system for storage.I ... Files and Windows folders and to individual users' "My Documents" ... You can re-install the operating system on a FAT or FAT32 disk ...
  • RE: Win Explorer in XP
    ... > I use Windows XP home edition ... > Everytime I try to exploreor open the folders on my desktop or right click ... > notice "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP read-only lock
    ... Your issue is probably one of NTFS permissions. ... The Read-Only checkbox on folders is not the attribute ... but a switch used to set the attribute on ... > I have an issue with windows XP Pro where all my files ...