Re: Obvious manipulation of e-mail headers - what good are they?

From: N. Miller (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/28/05

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:49:15 -0700

In article <#Vz9c#5SFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, George Hester says...

<snipped rest of headers>

> Nothing in these (partial) headers has any relation to the real world.
> Everything is made up. But not by me by the sender. Now what good are
> headers anymore? I can answer that. It's easy. It gives the ISP of the
> spammer an excuse used to deny they are enabling the spammer - dah!

You left out the most important headers, the ones your mail service added
when it received the email. Those headers are the ones which will identify
the computer which delivered the email to your servers; they are the ones
which count, because they identify the abusive network. Beyond those which
you omitted, header forgery is trivial, and has been going on for at least
four, or five years; probably longer.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain