why got \??\ in the path ?

From: Polaris (etpolaris_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/23/05

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:30:35 -0700

Hi Experts:

Wrote a small program on XP to get a list of running processes. I used the
GetModuleFileNameEx, EnumProcessModules to go through each process and get
the process path, most of the returned path is ok, but noticed strange one
below:

\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe (0x4A680000)

Anyone knows why there is \??\ at the front of the path? Does that mean the
csrss.exe is a virus? In task manager, the csrss.exe is running and cannot
be stopped.

Any thought is appriciated.

Thanks In Advance!

Polaris

Relevant Pages

  • Thanks ! Re: why got ?? in the path ?
    ... I appriciate your help. ... Polaris ... > Wrote a small program on XP to get a list of running processes. ... > GetModuleFileNameEx, EnumProcessModules to go through each process and get ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Thanks ! Re: why got ?? in the path ?
    ... I appriciate your help. ... Polaris ... > Wrote a small program on XP to get a list of running processes. ... > GetModuleFileNameEx, EnumProcessModules to go through each process and get ...
  • Thanks ! Re: why got ?? in the path ?
    ... I appriciate your help. ... Polaris ... > Wrote a small program on XP to get a list of running processes. ... > GetModuleFileNameEx, EnumProcessModules to go through each process and get ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)