Re: free(?) personal firewall

From: andy smart (anonymus_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/22/05

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:52:12 +0100

Karl Levinson, mvp wrote:
> I agree. There must be a way to configure zone alarm to let it work. You
> may have accidentally clicked No when it tried to connect? www.kerio.com
> and www.sygate.com are two other good free firewalls.
>

> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Sygate is a pretty good personal firewall. I hate to see you drop ZA
>
> however
>
>>if it works well for you. I would think that there might be some sort of
>>work around. Check you application/program list in ZA to see if Sophos
>>update is listed and maybe blocked. It may help to remove all your
>>applications/programs from the list and have it go into learning mode
>
> again
>
>>to see if you can get it to work. --- Steve
>>

>>"andy smart" <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've been using free Zone Alarm for a while and like it - and also
>>>Sophos AV which I want to keep. However there is an issue with Sophos 5
>>>in that Zone Alarm won't let it connect to auto-update and so I have to
>>>drop the firewall for the brief time I need to run updates.
>>>
>>>Any recommendations for a firewall which will provide as much (if not
>>>more) protection as ZA, but which will allow Sophos traffic?

Tragically not! The ZA discussion fora have a few threads on this one
and how folks can't get it to work, and I have an email from Sophos
support which sayeth:

"Unfortunately there is a known issue with Windows 2000 and ZoneAlarm.
Running ZoneAlarm 5.5 on a Windows 2000 machine blocks AutoUpdate from
downloading updates from the website. If you use Windows XP with the
same version of ZoneAlarm then it works fine. We are not aware of any
possible workarounds. You could try to use an older release of ZoneAlarm
or use a different personal firewall."

So there we are :-(

Relevant Pages

  • Re: zonealarm problem
    ... It is so much better than ZoneAlarm ... Tiny "Personal Firewall" does not filter all network services in the ... shutdown the network servers which are running in Windows' default ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Using a Linksys router, should I also use Zonealarm?
    ... yes it would be _very_ wise to use personal firewall. ... ZoneAlarm can be a bit hard to understand time to time how to configure it. ... Protecting your VPN connection is _very_ important. ... My desktop computer is running Windows XP and my ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: firewall securing outgoing traffic?
    ... > is there some easy to use personal firewall for Linux, ... If you know Zonealarm for Windows, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • firewall securing outgoing traffic?
    ... is there some easy to use personal firewall for Linux, ... If you know Zonealarm for Windows, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Error Checking - Direct Access
    ... Updated Zonealarm and all ok now - thx ... > could be the problem try searching the Support Pages of the 3rd ... > chkdsk.exe error message and Symantec AntiVirus Corporate ... > Edition 9.0 on Microsoft Windows XP: ...