Re: free(?) personal firewall

From: Karl Levinson, mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 04/22/05

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:20:13 -0400

I agree. There must be a way to configure zone alarm to let it work. You
may have accidentally clicked No when it tried to connect? www.kerio.com
and www.sygate.com are two other good free firewalls.

> Sygate is a pretty good personal firewall. I hate to see you drop ZA
however
> if it works well for you. I would think that there might be some sort of
> work around. Check you application/program list in ZA to see if Sophos
> update is listed and maybe blocked. It may help to remove all your
> applications/programs from the list and have it go into learning mode
again
> to see if you can get it to work. --- Steve
>

> "andy smart" <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been using free Zone Alarm for a while and like it - and also
> > Sophos AV which I want to keep. However there is an issue with Sophos 5
> > in that Zone Alarm won't let it connect to auto-update and so I have to
> > drop the firewall for the brief time I need to run updates.
> >
> > Any recommendations for a firewall which will provide as much (if not
> > more) protection as ZA, but which will allow Sophos traffic?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Computer problem, need help
    ... I thought I had a Zone Alarm update that I'd downloaded but hadn't ... the Windows Firewall and everything seems to be working fine now. ... his advice and let Windows download all those updates it had been ... you have NO outbound protection. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Zone Labs Products Advance Program Control and OS Firewall (Behavioral Based)
    ... > ZoneAlarm Pro and Internet Security Suite with its a new level of protection ... > protects PCs against only network based attacks however the new Zone Labs ... > Zone Alarm products with Advance Program Control or OS Firewall Technology ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Computer problem, need help
    ... I want to scan on the scanner. ... I thought I had a Zone Alarm update that I'd downloaded but hadn't ... the Windows Firewall and everything seems to be working fine now. ... his advice and let Windows download all those updates it had been ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • [Full-Disclosure] Vulnerability ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5.532.000
    ... M.Rogge: Target System: Windows XP Professional, ... System requirements of Zone Alarm: ... The installation of the desktop firewall goes seamlessly and after ... incoming packets reliably and there was no significant impediment ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Which free Zone Alarm (4 or 5) uses less power?
    ... > Which version of free Zone Alarm should I go for if I am concerned ... > about losing too much PC power to running the firewall? ... > I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature ... > free version of Sygate. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)