Re: Windows Update -- General How It Works Question

From: Galen (galennews_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/19/05

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:47:43 -0400

In news:D7E0087E-CA21-40F4-9956-253AD51D32FE@microsoft.com,
RobertS <RobertS@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I guess my question really is how does Windows Update actaully scan
> my system?
>
> Does it check a list of installed updates, or does it check dates and
> versions of the files that are actually sitting on my disk.
>
> My concern is when I install an update, then install a software
> package that may over-write an updated file.
>
> When I run Windows Update, will it check a list of updates and see
> that an update is installed and tell me everything is OK, or will it
> check the actual files sitting on my hard disk to realize that an
> already installed update needs to be re-installed?
>
> Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ah, okay, it just checks a lists and doesn't verify that they're actually
functioning or not to the best of my knowledge. I'm not sure if it pulls the
information out of the registry or if it gets the information from
%WinDir%\WindowsUpdate.log for that matter but I'd guess one of them. Which,
I might add, is why I pointed you to Kelly's site for more information..

The log contains a list of what updates were downloaded, when they were
downloaded, if the download was successful or not... I am not, by any means,
certain of this but that's the logical place for the information to be
gathered from.

Galen

  • Re: [opensuse] Stupid Updater and Stupid Installer - IMHO
    ... download the lists every time, and just do it when I tell it to (or ... I want to install a new package. ... lists up-to-date overnight. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Windows Update -- General How It Works Question
    ... WU and AU check both file versions and registry information. ... >> My concern is when I install an update, ... > Ah, okay, it just checks a lists and doesn't verify that they're actually ... > downloaded, if the download was successful or not... ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Windows Update -- General How It Works Question
    ... >> My concern is when I install an update, ... >> check the actual files sitting on my hard disk to realize that an ... > Ah, okay, it just checks a lists and doesn't verify that they're actually ... > downloaded, if the download was successful or not... ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Need Help - .CD/DVD ROM Drive Not Seen By OS.....
    ... and everything checked out fine in regards to the download / burn-copy ... But when I insert the CD into another laptop to install this distro ... I chose the GUI ... "Other") I have gone through the ENTIRE list of offerings in those lists but it ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 348
    ... A USB drive as 160 GB partition sole purpose data ... To begin you need to install sshd on all ... Reading package lists... ...
    (Ubuntu)