Re: MSN Messenger Security

From: Galen (galennews_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/15/05

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:36:13 -0400

In news:eCaaNPfQFHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Mark Randall <markyr@REMOVETHISgoogle.ANDTHIScom> had this to say:

> Don't send critical items or messages over it, they are vunerable to
> sniffing... that is, if you are on a setup where someone can get in
> the middle.

Not to mention the increase of malware that's specifically designed to
effect and propagate through this (and other) popular IM clients. Windows or
MSN Messenger are among the most popular and thus subjected to attack more
often. An alternative program is great advice that has already been given,
use of a full scale firewall (either software or hardware) MIGHT detect
abnormal activity and keeping your virus/malware definitions up to date
might go a ways in protecting you. I've used and recommend Trillian without
any problems. The additional advice to not send secure or important messages
through the IM still applies. For more secure messaging needs consider
certified emails. NetworkWorld Magazine had an article recently that you
might be interested in reading:

Bringing security to instant messaging:
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/040405-im-security.html?ts

There's a number of links on the page (at the bottom) that you can use for
getting more information. At one point they had (you didn't state if you
were a home user or if this was for a business environment) a review of a
number of messaging solutions but I can't seem to find it though I get
confused easily and that might have been eWeek.

Galen

  • question about hp6925 and wm 5
    ... I'm using a cingular hp6925. ... messaging buttons from the bottom of the screen to give myself more screen ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • RE: Something Seriously Wrong
    ... Also in the bottom right corner of my page and anytime I use instant ... messaging or anything it says VIRUS ALERT! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: hacker hoax?
    ... sf's advice is the first best advice to take. ... with instant messaging. ... firewall or put up a personal firewall like zonealarm. ... you'd have to install it yourself... ...