Re: 891711/MS05-002 Updated (fixed) for Win9x. Looking for Win XP Pro 64?

From: Bill in Co. (someone_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 04/14/05

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:03:48 -0600

When I make a HD backup (in one burn), I can fit just about everything I
really need on ONE dvd. So there is no comparison (for what I'm trying to
do)/ No way am I gonna use 6 or 7 CDs in its place, regardless of the cost!

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Cost-wise, I can't imagine that DVDs are much different from CDs except
> for convenience.I use DVDs (I forget which format) for permanent storage
> of projects (or copies of other DVDs.) But for re-writable, daily
> backups, I use a pair of external HDs (swapping them regularly.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> I don't like UDF, either, in any flavor. And perhaps it's that issue
>>> which colors my thinking, here. Using standard formatting, what do you
>>> think the life expectancy for CDRWs is?
>>>
>>> Regardless, I agree with AlmostBob--a spare hard drive, particularly an
>>> external HD if your system supports USB2 or Firewire, is a much more
>>> sane and economical solution for regularly backing up large amounts of
>>> data.
>>
>> Or burn your important stuff to a DVD.
>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "John Corliss" <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in message

Relevant Pages

  • Re: best format for large file split accross several DVDs?
    ... Life's too short to split and burn to DVDs. ... and convenient multiple generation multiple location backup. ... The disk about 500ml. ... Well unless I create my own movie clips they aren;t worth backing up. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: *Another* Backup software question...
    ... At home I rsync to an external SATA disk with 1 TB. ... Burning DVDs is too much work. ... External HDDs are the better medias for backups at home. ... I don't know what is used for what kind of professional backup. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • burn files to DVD with Java
    ... utilities that claim they will let you burn files/backup to DVDs (or ... I have already written a front end to a backup utility that maintains ... Perhaps I could finish it off with Java code to do the burn. ... library for burning DVDs? ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Backups on DVD
    ... I use it on a server with about 22GB of data, ... My approach is to have mondo do the backup to .iso files on a different ... Then burn the DVDs when the backup is complete. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: server backup strategy.
    ... gigs of pictures and about 4 gigs of user data..theres a lot I can cheerfully lose, which is actually backups off other systems.. ... So, its something like growisofs at the burn level, and provabably 3 DVDS.. ... I might add that the purpose of the backup is disaster recovery: Assume a dead machine or disk...and get back as much of what I want as possible as fast as possible. ... In fact its probably true to say that a clean install plus the various config files for the server daemons, would get me to a system where I could just roll data back. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)