Re: do I need a software firewall

From: Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 04/11/05

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:09:10 -0700

Malke wrote:

> Michael Pelletier wrote:
>
>> D@annyBoy wrote:
>>
>>> connecting to the Net via a wirelss adsl router (not sure whether
>>> there's a built in hardware firewall)
>>> do I really need a software firewall?
>>>

>> It is a good idea to have a firewall. However, remember protecting
>> yourself by increasing your security has many parts. It is good system
>> administration (not giving yourself local administrator privs,
>> disabling active-x, etc) keeping up to date with patches, using anti
>> virus software, using anti spyware software...and many, many more.
>>
>> If you do all these things then using a firewall is a good idea. If
>> you do not do these things I suggest you start...
>>
>> Michael
>
> I'd just like to add this little bit to Mr. Pelletier's excellent
> advice. One of the reasons to use a third-party firewall (software) is
> that it will alert you to programs wanting Internet access. The router
> will not do this. Sometimes a bit of malware can slip past your guard
> and the firewall alert is a great warning. ZoneAlarm and Sygate are
> just two examples of firewalls. Both companies make a version that is
> free for personal use.
>
> Malke

Excellent advice. Thanks. It is very rare that people give you nice comments
in news groups now-a-days...

Again, thanks
Michael

--
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

Relevant Pages

  • Re: cant connect remotely
    ... Malke and I explained to him in detail. ... does that mean that you've opened required ports in the firewall ... Desktop Access if it is running Home Edition)? ... the WinVNC packets are directed to the fixed internal ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: File/Print share workgroup on ME and XP machines
    ... Malke: Before I get into all of this I want to first try and not run my ... Even though I didn't activate the firewall, ... right-click on the icon for My Network Places ... Now if you want to automatically log onto ME with that user account ...
  • Re: XP SP2 Firewall and Newsreaders
    ... Malke wrote: ... > needs to be adjusted to allow regular newsgroup posting. ... This is our university's news server and I am using my work PC to access it. ... firewall, news flows unimpeded. ...
  • Re: new computer w/ XP Pro not avalible on network
    ... john wrote: ... > shut all of the firewall and internet security features off on XP Pro ... Malke ...
  • Re: Networking
    ... Thanks to both Sharon and Malke - I think I'm good to go now. ... Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, ... turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. ... Network traffic as trusted. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)