Re: Open with... .reg extensions

From: Jim Carlock (anonymous_at_localhost)
Date: 04/10/05

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 18:32:16 -0400

Ahh, when the Advanced button turns into Restore, just click on the
Change button (to the right of the Opens with: item). Then click on OK
and the Advanced button comes back.

And also, I set the Merge as the default action and I tested the Opens
With... one more time. I don't think the drop down list showed Notepad
there and I'm thinking it ONLY displayed the Choose Program menu item.
When I clicked on the Choose Program, it went into it's "automatic"
merge. I canceled the merge and now I'm seeing the two notepad's I have
set up as notepad editors. Which is what I should have seen to begin
with. Also the Choose Program no longer does the automatic merge when
I click on the Choose Program button. I should have had a registry
monitor running to see what actually changed, or I should have saved
the keys before I started playing around. Bummer.

Thanks for your help once again.

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.
"Jim Carlock" <anonymous@localhost> wrote in message news:eJcnY1UPFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Thanks Alan,
The OS is XP.
1) Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types
2) Find the .reg association (may be Registration Entries)
-Yep
3) Clicked the "Set as default" button,
Note, that flagged the file as changed. It set the default action to open it
with the text editor. It also changed the Advanced Button to Restore. I
don't want to Restore. I want to go back into the Advanced button and
play around. ::mutter::
Wondering why Microsoft would break the Open With... dialog for only
that particular type of file? Or are there some others as well?
Do you know if there's a way to make the Advanced button to reappear
without rebooting?
Thanks for the help.
--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.
"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote:
In what operating system?
Try this...
Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types
Find the .reg association (may be Registration Entries)
Edit, (or click Advanced on ME or XP)
Highlight Edit (which should be the Notepad open)
Press "Set Default"
OK your way out.
The path to Folder Options may vary according to your operating
system. It may be:
Explorer-View-Folder Options
Explorer-Tools-Folder Options
Start-Settings-Folder Options
Start-Settings-Control Panel-Folder options.
Yes, it happens with everyone else who has not done this to change the
default action from Merge to Edit (a very sensible idea)
You can still right-click and Merge if you need to.
...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html
wrote:
>I'm trying to open a file called NeverSE.reg. I'm right clicking on the
>file and want to open it with NotePad. However, the computer is
>trying to "run the script".
>
>I only want to open it with NotePad. Is there something wrong with
>my computer or does this happen with everyone else?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Folder Options - File Types - Restore
    ... Word2000 instead of Notepad, ... you loose the ability to edit and modify the ... file type. ... Right click on a file type that you want to change the application that opens it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Folder Options - File Types - Restore
    ... restore the file type back to Notepad. ... I mean if I tell Explorer to open all TXT files with Word2000 instead of Notepad, ... Say if I double-click on Readme.txt, it opens just fine. ... Although when you tell Explorer to use Word instead of Notepad, you loose the ability to edit and modify the file type. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Folder Options - File Types - Restore
    ... The date and time was Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:45:37 AM, and on a whim, BillW50 pounded out on the keyboard: ... Word2000 instead of Notepad, ... Readme.txt, it opens just fine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Folder Options - File Types - Restore
    ... Word2000 instead of Notepad, ... Readme.txt, it opens just fine. ... you loose the ability to edit and modify the ... file type. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Folder Options - File Types - Restore
    ... The date and time was Monday, May 11, 2009 5:47:04 PM, and on a whim, BillW50 pounded out on the keyboard: ... Word2000 instead of Notepad, ... Readme.txt, it opens just fine. ... application will open a file type, the ability to edit the action ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)