Re: There needs to be an international policy

From: George Hester (hesterloli_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/09/05

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:17:52 -0400

Norman doesn't an agency assign Internet numbers to countries? I mean most Chinese sites are in the upper 200 range. Couldn't the assigning authority have a policy that no more IP addresses will be assigned to them? My understanding is that China has done something similar to keep their populace from accessing certain sites. Why not do that globally? I understand that could be abused so maybe it's not such a good idea after all. I just find it surprising that these spam sites are almost always from there. The spam I get anyway. Again please do not confuse the e-mail servers with the spam pointed to in the e-mail. The e-mail servers and the links in the spam usually have nothing in common.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1cc10fa4fc5a403e98a79d@msnews.microsoft.com...
> In article <#xM8MiIPFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, George Hester says...
>
> > That's right.  The jist of those who want to "give me crap" is I don't
> > know what I am talking about; I am dumb; I don't like you.  That's the
> > extant of it.  Nothing about why my conclusion that the spammer is in the
> > links of the e-mail not in the e-mail servers.  And as it is I have not
> > read a convining argument to the contrary of that.
>
> You claimed that the major contributors to spam are Chinese (among others)
> ISPs. Others have stated that the major contributors to spam are the U.S.
> American owners of Chinese hosted web sites. Both can't be right.
>
> Somebody changed that to Chinese IPs are the source of the majority of spam.
> Others contend that the open proxies are the source of the majority of spam.
> I have seen little spam from those Chinese IPs in the URLs that you through
> out. The majority of the spam comes from open proxies; beyond which I can't
> prove that the spam came from Chinese URLs, or U.S. American hosted IPs from
> which the spammer accesses those open proxies.
>
> If you could close off the Chinese ISPs from the Internet, you would still
> have to deal with UUNet. If you close off UUNet from the Internet, you would
> really take a bite out of spam; but you would also fracture the Internet.
> You oversimplify the problem. Your solution would require that a single
> entity take over the entire Internet, and vet everybody who connects
> thereto; right back to the way that the Arpanet worked.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Relevant Pages

  • Re: U.S. at risk of cyberattacks, experts say
    ... Mafia have the highest skills in cyberwarfare, followed by the Chinese, ... The only spam i get on my system these days is from ... Internet II is a problem for the USA only and once we get ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: best website to buy gold?
    ... But this is spam, and while a more defensible debate, is a straw man - ... response from Chinese ISPs for generating mass unsolicited mailings. ... I'd no clue the Chinese were so reluctant to prosecute US ... have touted to try and show they're toughening up on high-tech crimes - ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: There needs to be an international policy
    ... Nothing about why my conclusion that the spammer is in the ... Others have stated that the major contributors to spam are the U.S. ... American owners of Chinese hosted web sites. ... If you could close off the Chinese ISPs from the Internet, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: _The Three Faces Of [St]Eve_ (WAS: Who was Buffy Lyer and Sheryl Anns creator?
    ... Gmail is the only web-based mail service that includes ... Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, ... legitimate AND spam traffic ... oriented Asia and Southeast Asia are encouraged to join our elite band of ...
    (rec.food.cooking)