Re: Windows 98SE security update 891711

From: PA Bear (PABearMVP_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/09/05

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:21:43 -0400

See this recent post from MS:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security/msg/399ff690be41f455

1. Uninstall 891711.

2. Call 1-866-PCSAFETY and indicate that you are having issues with a
security update.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
Harold wrote:
> I downloaded this security update and on restart my computer would not
> complete the start. It appeared to load everything until it got to Zone
> Alarm. It then hung up with the pointer and the hourglass. I started in
> SafeMode, ran MSconfig and unchecked the 891711 item. I did a lot of other
> things but this worked. On restart the computer started successfully. To
> prove my actions, I checked the update again and the computer would not
> start properly. I took it out again and all was well. Should I/How do I
> take this item out of my computer? Or will I have to just leave it
> unchecked in MSconfig? If this update is important, why isn't it working
> properly?

Relevant Pages

  • Windows Update Error 8000FFFF on Windows 7
    ... You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect. ... After you install this item, you may have to restart your ... Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows 98SE security update 891711
    ... >I downloaded this security update and on restart my computer would not ... It appeared to load everything until it got to ... ran MSconfig and unchecked the 891711 item. ... On restart the computer started successfully. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Security update on a MB
    ... Including Security update 2008-02 (I think it is- ... stopped during the installation process. ... So I forced a restart. ... the security and the Safari updates. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Server 2003 SP2 - Partition vanishes
    ... Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, ... Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003 ...
  • ......security update problem
    ... security update from their website. ... the restart your machine with the last known working ... This is the first time I ever had a ... problem with the update site and now I am totally lost as ...