Re: Windows 98SE security update 891711

From: Pen (pen34usnospam_at_hotmailnospam.com)
Date: 04/08/05

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:25:36 -0400

MS describes it as "critical".

"Harold" <Harold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3EAA3119-5E96-4271-BD36-B378B21D1672@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded this security update and on restart my computer would not
> complete the start. It appeared to load everything until it got to
> Zone
> Alarm. It then hung up with the pointer and the hourglass. I started
> in
> SafeMode, ran MSconfig and unchecked the 891711 item. I did a lot of
> other
> things but this worked. On restart the computer started successfully.
> prove my actions, I checked the update again and the computer would
> not start
> properly. I took it out again and all was well. Should I/How do I take
> this
> item out of my computer? Or will I have to just leave it unchecked in
> MSconfig? If this update is important, why isn't it working properly?

Relevant Pages

  • Icons do not load all the time
    ... I hae not downloaded a new security update in the last ... >>loading when I restart or turn on my computer. ... >>the icons will load and other times they won't. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ZoneAlarm Startup Problem, Editing the Registry
    ... I think I'd uncheck the feature to load at "start up", then restart ... the computer and check msconfig to see if ZA is still there. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Windows 98SE security update 891711
    ... ~Robear Dyer ... > I downloaded this security update and on restart my computer would not ... ran MSconfig and unchecked the 891711 item. ... On restart the computer started successfully. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Cant stop windows media player when startup
    ... > My windows media player will run automaticaly when I ... > restart the computer and it takes long time to load the ... "msconfig" typed in the run field to see what is going on at start up. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: C:.rnd file
    ... From your past descriptions, IIRC, it's being loaded at startup time. ... It's also possible you picked up some malware someplace, ... Wait for MSConfig to appear. ... Restart; click Cancel when MSConfig opens again. ...