Windows 98SE security update 891711

From: Harold (Harold_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/08/05

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:15:04 -0700

I downloaded this security update and on restart my computer would not
complete the start. It appeared to load everything until it got to Zone
Alarm. It then hung up with the pointer and the hourglass. I started in
SafeMode, ran MSconfig and unchecked the 891711 item. I did a lot of other
things but this worked. On restart the computer started successfully. To
prove my actions, I checked the update again and the computer would not start
properly. I took it out again and all was well. Should I/How do I take this
item out of my computer? Or will I have to just leave it unchecked in
MSconfig? If this update is important, why isn't it working properly?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: C:.rnd file
    ... From your past descriptions, IIRC, it's being loaded at startup time. ... It's also possible you picked up some malware someplace, ... Wait for MSConfig to appear. ... Restart; click Cancel when MSConfig opens again. ...
  • Re: Service Pack Files.......PROBLEM!
    ... Done that and on restart it never showed up again. ... On thinking back the time it first happened three weeks ago I remember Zone ... Alarm "went nuts" and quarantined something.....cant remember the name now. ...
    (uk.comp.misc)
  • RE: procmsg.exe
    ... get it out using msconfig... ... Click on the hide all Microsoft services tab. ... the list and untick what you think is causing you problems. ... be causing you the problem and then apply your changes, and restart your ...
  • Re: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB917283)
    ... have some disabled items, then click "Disable all". ... Click OK and restart Windows. ... Windows should now restart in a clean state with no extras running. ... use msconfig again to restore the settings the way they ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: ERROR-WHY?
    ... use msconfig to eliminate the error ... Click on the hide all Microsoft services tab. ... the list and untick what you think is causing you problems. ... be causing you the problem and then apply your changes, and restart your ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)