Re: Processor Load

From: Malke (
Date: 04/07/05

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 05:49:02 -0700

Joe Thorne wrote:

> Recently, random tasks such as Acrobat Reader and Internet Explorer,
> use exactly 50% of the processor. The programs aren't even in use, but
> still they use 50% of the processing power, and they never use any
> more or any less. What is causing these random spikes?

If you are using the newest Adobe Reader 7.0, it has something like a
"Quick Start" enabled by default, which basically means that it is
running all the time. I can't imagine why Adobe thought this was a Good
Thing. You should disable it - I believe there are options from within
the Reader itself; if not, disable through msconfig.

As for Internet Explorer, the first line of investigation should always
be malware-related. This means scanning with a current antivirus (not
earlier than 2004) using updated definitions, as well as with programs
like Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Make sure you update all
program definitions before scanning.

MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
The world is diminished without him.