Re: MS05-002 on 9x and ME

From: PCR (pcrrcp_at_netzero.net)
Date: 04/01/05

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:04:05 -0500

I find myself in full agreement with cquirke on these issues.
Explorer.exe has never been updated on my Win98SE...

EXPLORER.EXE
Desc: Windows Explorer
Loc: C:\WINDOWS
Size: 180,224 bytes
Mod: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
Ver: 4.72.3110.1

..., despite I have taken every critical at Windows Update including the
IE Cumulative Updates. So, E & IE are just a shell (or "entry point" as
cquirke says) that calls other files/.dll's. EVEN IF the Win95 SR 2.1
version of Explorer.exe did work, it would be calling the same ones to
do a Delete/Copy, etc.

| I wonder whether someone could give me a *complete* account
| of how explorer is integrated with IE, including files, registry
| entries, functionality, etc.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/
Welcome to the MSDN Library

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

| > CQuirke! Am I correct that the Windows 95 explorer does not depend
on any of these browse*.dll files? What would happen if you replaced
Windows 98 SE explorer.exe with the Windows 95 SR 2.1 version of
explorer.exe? I know there would be some functionality lost, such as
view as web page, or the address bar. I wonder whether someone could

wrote in message news:v4ig41hk9t82pdidbrn2gu7uihkq61v6ud@4ax.com...
| > > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:00:39 -0500, "Rick Chauvin"

MCSE,

| > > I'm inclined to agree with Rick on this; this is IMO the biggest
| > > hassle with Win9x, and a poor show that it's remained unfixed.

| > > Nope.  It's a difficult issue to pin down, as it is intermittent
but
| > > "sticky" - I suspect it latches into problem mode once tripped
there
| > > by some sort of race condition (mis-timed, ?simultaneous events).
| > >
| > > So it's been hard to pin it down to particular versions of
anything.
| > > I'm not even that sure it affects only IE 6 xx or Win98xx, for
example

| > > But it's significant, given that it makes it extremely tedious to
do
| > > real, bread-and-butter file management.  That's why it's such an
| > > embarrasment; an OS that can't copy files from one place to
another is
| > > like a car that can't turn its wheels around.
| > >
| > > I can tell you this, though; IE 6 SP1 doesn't fix the issue in
| > > Win98SE.  I know, because that's the hardware I live with, and I
see
| > > this issue on a regular basis!  Once the issue starts -
classically
| > > after doing a bulk erase or copy, whether Recycle Bin is bypassed
or
| > > not - then every attempt to rename or delete files or create new
| > > folders will fail in the same way.  The problem stops when
| > > Explorer.exe is restarted, either by killing it as a task in the
| > > Ctl+Alt+Del list, or by shutting down and restarting Windows.

| > > Yes, this problem has been often raised, and until the reference
| > > BrowseLC.dll and BrowseUI.dll, no solution has ever been apparent.
| > >
| > > There's a similar sort of problem where a fake (null-properties)
W:
| > > drive letter appears in the left pane of Explorer, sometimes with
all
| > > other drive letters vanishing.  That was attributed to WinZip and
| > > (AFAICR) some IE 5.xx versions, though I didn't find such a solid
link
| > > (i.e. I think I saw it in the absence of WinZip).
| > >
| > > Then there's general flakiness of Windows Explorer, such that
renames
| > > or deletions often don't appear in the left pane until an explicit
F5
| > > to refresh.  Happens especially in Start Menu.
| > >
| > > Then there's the slowdown in Start Menu that started with Win98
(may
| > > be related to IE 4's "Desktop Integration").  Whereas in pre-IE4
| > > Win95xx, the Start Menu appears as fast as delay setting allows,
and
| > > appears in a single flash, in Win98+ it dribbles from top
downwards;
| > > you can feel the slowness as each icon gets painted in.
| > >
| > > This may be hidden by the artificially-added slowness of Win98's
| > > "animation" feature.  It's pretty obvious once that feature's
| > > disabled; one wonders if the "feature" was added to cover it up!
| > >

| > > Now I know some see shuffling those .DLLs as a definitive fix; I
would
| > > too, as long as I don't have to fall below IE 5.5 SP2 (and thus
run
| > > the risk or regressing to the point that MIME-spoofing attacks are
| > > once again facilitated by the OS).

| > >    Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IE TOOLBAR!
    ... You may even have to do more than is in my Spyware section of ... You should also empty your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: CPU useage
    ... tool for investigating CPU usage is Process Explorer. ... Also with regard to Internet Explorer do you have lots of windows / ... You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, ...
  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... Invisible extra things to backspace away are going to trip ... This indicates that Windows is not seeing the same input ... drag and drop oddities in Explorer indicate a similar problem; ... command prompt instead of a different task; ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: IE launching when Firefox is default browser
    ... If you select shortcuts via Windows Explorer then it is naturally ... Links folder via the Links Toolbar that I am finding problematic. ...
  • Re: Explorer crashing on context menu
    ... that explorer refused start at all) so back to SP1. ... Does 'Checksum' mean checksum in windows executable header? ... > to what you are reporting. ... > to install free ShellExView and to try disabling these ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)