Re: Reinstalling WMP

From: Jim Carlock (anonymous_at_localhost)
Date: 03/31/05

    Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:38:00 -0500

    Thanks Roger.

    WMP10 doesn't seem to want to install to a different folder. Or
    maybe I'm getting it to install to the other folder, but SFC keeps
    moving files back to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
    after they've been deleted. Sounds like an sfcfiles.dll problem.

    Furthermore, the files placed in the other folder do not run when
    installed to the other folder.

    I'm getting a message box that explains:
    "Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be
    reinstalled."

    It then takes me to a link to download the 12MB file. If I go to
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\ the software there
    runs okay.

    So I'm wondering if there is only ONE place that WMP 10 will
    run from? Is there something that might be limiting it to running
    only from the "Program Files\Windows Media Player" folder?

    For the most part, the changes I applied to the .inf files involved
    changing the MP2_FOLDER from:
    MP2_FOLDER = "Windows Media Player"
    MP2_FOLDER = "MS\WMP".

    Furthermore, right clicking on some of the .inf files gives a strange
    message indicating that WMP10 is NOT approved for XP.

    The list of these problem .inf files:
    WMSET10.inf
    WMP10.inf
    DRM10.inf

    The message these files present when right clicking on them and
    then clicking on INSTALL:

    <message>
    The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo
    testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP (Tell me why
    this testing is important.)

    This software will not be installed. Contact your system administrator.
    </message>

    It looks like the "Program Files\Windows Media Player" path is
    hard coded either in that file itself or in the sfcfiles.dll or both...

    Hmmm... and there they are, hardcoded inside sfcfiles.dll:
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\npdsplay.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\npwmsdrm.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\custsat.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\migrate.exe
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\mpvis.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\npdrmv2.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpband.dll
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpns.dll

    The filenames inside of sfcfiles.dll are not stored as resource
    strings, so that makes it a little harder to edit the sfcfiles.dll
    program.

    Anyone have a solution to this problem of installing WMP 10
    into another folder and changing the contents of the sfcfiles.dll?

    --
    Jim Carlock
    Please post replies to newsgroup.
    "Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoSpam@asu.edu> wrote:
    You also Jim.
    But I wonder, why not just install WMP10 for XP  ?
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b446ae53-3759-40cf-80d5-cde4bbe07999&displaylang=en
    --
    Roger