Re: Are Multi-Function Printers a Security Risk?

From: Matt Gibson (mattg_at_blueedgetech.ca)
Date: 03/22/05

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:57:42 -0800

That would depend on the exact model of printer, but I've never heard of
such a vulnerbility.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Stan G." <StanG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think the real issue here is weather or not the Fax interface can be
>dialed
> up and hacked so that it can be used like a modem to access the PC and
> network.
>
> "Stan G." wrote:
>
>> Some of my users work as veteran's advocates within Veterans
>> Administration
>> offices across the country. As such they are guests on the VA's network
>> subject to there rules and guidelines. Recently I was informed that they
>> are
>> not allowed to use Multi-Function Printers due to a security risk. They
>> are
>> saying that someone can dial into the MFP Fax, access the attached PC
>> through
>> the printer interface and thus gain access to the network. This sounds a
>> bit
>> far fetched to me. Is this a real possibility?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How can I add to Global Addresses.
    ... Matt Gibson - GSEC ... > We have employees that are not a part of our network and I would like to ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: GPO HELP
    ... How was it joined to the network? ... Matt Gibson - GSEC ... Prev by Date: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Mirrored Servers?
    ... You can only have a single SBS server on the network at a time. ... Matt Gibson - GSEC ... Prev by Date: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: My Network Places
    ... Sounds like someone managed to connect to your network without you knowing ... Matt Gibson - GSEC ... > Anyone ever see an odd entry in My Network Places for a domain that ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Building first time server system
    ... Got any idea what your hardware would cost in USA TN?? ... "Matt Gibson" wrote: ... you'll be down a workstation. ... >> Can a workstation be network administrator. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)