Re: Anti virus software?

From: Tony (tony_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/21/05

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:02:11 +1100

> I keep hearing on the radio and other places that without
> anti-virus software (PC-cillin, Norton, or some other)
> a PC computer connected to the internet will get a virus
> within a couple minutes.

While all are possible, it would be pretty rare that you would get a virus
with the computer just having it connected to the Internet. Most of the
time, it needs to surf the Internet for awhile before you are infected. On
the other hand, you could be hacked instead.

However I personally believe that you can't be hacked within a couple
minutes. I believe that most (if not all) magazines classify the port
scanning as a hack which is not truth. Hacking needs to identify the
computer and the OS, find the holes and perform the attack. Being a
Certified Ethical Hacker and a Certified Information System Security
Professional myself, I reckon that it is pretty rare that a hacker could do
all in such a short time.

Tony

> I've been using the internet for several years now with no
> virus protection and haven't detected any viruses on my Windows
> 95 system.
>
> Is it possible the new viruses today will not run on an
> old Win 95 setup and I don't have to worry about it, or
> should I install a firewall and anti-virus software for
> added protection.
>
> How would I know if a virus is on my system? Everything
> seems to work ok.
>
> -Bill

Relevant Pages

  • Re: computer virus usegroups
    ... New Virus Stealing Information from Computer Users ... You can infect ... attempt to download from a Russian website. ... Internet Explorer to protect users of its Internet Explorer browsers ...
    (sci.med.diseases.lyme)
  • Cambodian computer users who think they can beat malware by simply installing Norton AntiVirus are e
    ... Internet experts say the possibility of a slow-spreading local virus ... The development of high-speed internet in Cambodia has thrown open the ... Cambodian computer users who think they can beat malware by ... penetration rate, they should not been overly concerned about viruses, ...
    (soc.culture.cambodia)
  • Re: Another chain email scam
    ... > teachers have no sense at all? ... > internet with all those students to act as seeding drones for the ... > next email virus? ... I will NOT see it (thank the spammers and viruses) ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Virus to Virus Idea
    ... Subject: Virus to Virus Idea ... > plugging a box into the internet does not mean anyone that finds it can> do whatever they please unless you write a disclaimer or lock it down. ... you do not disclaim. ... the legal, LE, and corporate community is so adamant about properly ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: why do i keep getting viruses?
    ... Since some of the received messages have large (often virus) ... switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off. ... >> You may have spyware/adware infesting your machine, ... >> - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)