Re: Dream Pack? Need to get into PC w/PW from fired employee

From: Jeff Cochran (jeff.nospam_at_zina.com)
Date: 03/12/05

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 05:23:39 GMT

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:35:53 -0600, "R. Choate"
<rchoatecpa@NoSpam.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to help a former client of mine who is somewhat elderly but still runs a small public accounting firm. He has fired his
>longtime trusted assistant after, you guessed it, she embezzled funds. She knew much more about computers than him and she was the
>network (small network) administrator. I think he has most problems under control but she placed a PW on her PC and it has important
>company files on it (in addition to evidence). I've heard of something called "Dream Pack" that is open source and cheap, and which
>will allow him to get into the PC and just change the password to whatever he wants and gain access to it. I do not have time to
>travel to his little office but I really want to help this old guy. He is like a grandfather type guy and I just want to point him
>in the direction of something that will open that computer and perhaps I can walk him through the steps over the phone. Has anybody
>heard of this software and can anybody give me any leads on this?
>
>I'm an Excel/Access/Word programmer but I don't know operating system or security stuff. Thanks for any help.

If it actually has "evidence" then you don't do anything. You hand
the system over to the investigators.

Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The Hard Problem for Behaviorists
    ... correct low level abstractions to define the operation of the brain with - ... Do you not know how computers work? ... you can think of this type of network like you ... when you drop a marble in hole X1, ...
    (sci.cognitive)
  • Re: Networks : Workgroups and Domains. How Do I Use Them?
    ... I think the problem is from my lack of understanding whether these machines are together as a workgroup or domain. ... If I want to configure solely for a workgroup network, then I would think I do not need to provide a domain name, and vice versa for a domain network. ... It's not clear whether any of your computers is running Windows 2000 *Server.* If not, you don't have a "domain" and shouldn't be using domain names. ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it. ...
  • Re: {workgroup}"...is not accessible" after removing NWLINK
    ... I generally reboot the machine whenever I make network ... >problem is a browse service that won?t run on the XP machine using the TCP/IP ... >?The browser has forced an election on network ... >> computer, and one, or preferably two, of the Windows 98 computers. ...
  • Help with 070-217
    ... The network contains 25,000 computers. ... single Windows 2000 domain named research.contoso.com. ... Server computers that are configured as domain controllers. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: Help with 070-217